Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1998 GL1500SE Trike with less than 18k miles. It is a beautiful bike and we have enjoyed it immensely this summer. When I bought the bike, I was told that there was and issue with reverse and unfortunately it has now become serious. After backing the into my garage, the bike became locked into the reverse gear position...Long story short, the bike is now disassembled and we can see the broken reverse gear, chewed up starter gear and quite a bit of filings and metal slivers inside of the transmission/engine area. The mechanic says that a complete rebuild would be necessary and is recommending that I look for a replacement engine on ebay. Any suggestions? What year engine would be a direct swap for me? Will a Valkyrie engine work?
Thanks for your input.

·
Magic Moderator
4,268 Posts
Any GL1500 Aspencade or SE engine will work, the newer the better. Any salvage yards in your area? I don't believe a Valkyrie engine would fit with the six carbs.

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
I think I would replace the broken parts, flush the filings out and put it back in. No reason for a rebuild. The oil filter would have caught any filings before they were pumped through the engine.

·
Administrator
57,676 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think I would replace the broken parts, flush the filings out and put it back in. No reason for a rebuild. The oil filter would have caught any filings before they were pumped through the engine.

and there is the scavenge oil pump strainer in the rear case where the broken gears are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have recently purchased a 1998 GL1500SE Trike with less than 18k miles. It is a beautiful bike and we have enjoyed it immensely this summer. When I bought the bike, I was told that there was and issue with reverse and unfortunately it has now become serious. After backing the into my garage, the bike became locked into the reverse gear position...Long story short, the bike is now disassembled and we can see the broken reverse gear, chewed up starter gear and quite a bit of filings and metal slivers inside of the transmission/engine area. The mechanic says that a complete rebuild would be necessary and is recommending that I look for a replacement engine on ebay. Any suggestions? What year engine would be a direct swap for me? Will a Valkyrie engine work?
Thanks for your input.

the rear engine case can be removed to replace the gears. many valkyrie owners have had hydro-loc problems whereas the starter gear was broken and removed the case and replaced what was broken. the case can also be replaced if necessary. run from that mechanic a complete engine build is not required.

·
Registered
95 Posts
call clowntown cycle , peru,in 765 472 0051 m-f 9-5, sat 9-4. he has a goldwing for parts. says its a 1500 I, i think i looked at it today and mike (owner) said if i offered the credit union 300.00 they would probably take it. or 765 244 1911 cell . don't know the miles. i've got a '93 1500I & he said it was the same engine as mine. and i don't need it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts