Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 89 Goldwing about a couple of months ago I was riding and my bike act like it was shorting out I turned it off and trailerd it home only half of my fuse box had fire so I replaced the main wiring harness the bike fired right up and I rode it now when you turn the key on I have nothing and once again only part of the fuse box has power can anyone please tell me my problem I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
...my bike act like it was shorting out I turned it off and trailerd it home only half of my fuse box had fire...
> Need more detail about how it was "shorting out"; and the fire (electrical power?) in the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I was riding it started acting like it was trying to start while it was running.As far as the fuse box only half of the fuses are hot I replaced all fuses but the same ones are not hot

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
I was riding it started acting like it was trying to start while it was running....
> The starter motor turned On, while riding? Did the engine turn Off?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes it did. So after that a replaced the main wire harness the bike fired up and then a couple days later I went to start it but when I turned the key on nothing happened no power at all and the battery has a full charge

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
Yes it did. So after that a replaced the main wire harness the bike fired up and then a couple days later I went to start it but when I turned the key on nothing happened no power at all and the battery has a full charge
> Need confirmation: The starter motor turned On, while riding? (Y/N)

and

> The engine turned Off, while the starter motor turned On? (Y/N)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if the Starter Switch is stuck in the Inwards (On) Position... which is a common problem for all Honda's.

If that were happening, then the Starter would of course turn On; and the headlights would turn Off (along with the respective fuse).

What I don't understand is why the engine would simultaneiously turn Off... Perhaps the engaging of the starter (while the engine is running) bogs the engine down enough to force it off? --When the engine quits, is there a sudden deceleration (as if dropping down a gear), or just a gentle loss of power (like when the kill switch is turned On)?

Anyhow, the next time you can't start it... try Pulling outwards on the starter switch, and see if the bike comes back to life.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The starter motor only engaged that one time the problem I'm having now is I cant get any power once I turn the switch on the radio clock or any electronics come on but the battery is hot and only certain fuses are hot

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

delyone, I'm reading tht you only have "some" powered items in the fuse box...

My guess is that:
...You have power to the following fuses:
* Stop Fuse
* AirPump Fuse
* Tail/Metere/Position Fuse
* Head Fuse
* Horn/Turn/Stop Relay Fuse

...And that you have no power to these fuses:
* ACC Terminal Fuse (top fuse)
* ACC Fuse
* Backup Fuse (5A in the relay box)

...And that the position of the ignition switch makes no difference in what fuses are hot or not...

Take a walk through your fuses and let us know what hot an what's not.

(my guess above is based on the main 30A fuse on Starter Solenoid "A" being bad. Fuse can fail for undiscoverable reasons, but often is due to abraided/damaged harness leading to/from the ignition switch)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes that is correct the fuses you mentioned are the ones thats hot and the ones are not what can I do to correct this and get my bike startrd

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
...my guess above is based on the main 30A fuse on Starter Solenoid "A" being bad...

delyone wrote:
...what can I do to correct this and get my bike startrd
> Check the green/30amp fuse that sits atop the Starter Solenoid, located just in front of the battery.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

If the fuse is bad, and replaced with a good one, and there are not shorts that cause the fuse to fail, then yes, Key-on power should be restored.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I checked the fuse and it's good I have power at it but still no power when I turn my switch on

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
...the problem I'm having now is I cant get any power once I turn the switch on...
> Verify that the wire harness, from the ignition switch, is connected... The connection for it sits above the left fan housing... I believe it's the largest (red?) in a bank of perhaps 5 connectors at that location.... pull them all apart, clean, then re-assemble.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
I have a 89 Goldwing about a couple of months ago I was riding and my bike act like it was shorting out I turned it off and trailerd it home only half of my fuse box had fire so I replaced the main wiring harness the bike fired right up and I rode it now when you turn the key on I have nothing and once again only part of the fuse box has power can anyone please tell me my problem I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch
Okay so if it fired right up after the harness change and then went out again, it sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere and while changing the harness, you bumped an area that gave you connection again, albeit not permanently. I would start checking for a single connection that would cause those certain fuses to not have 12v. Satan would likely know more than I about the location to start looking but just forthe heck of ittry this:

Check to be sure thata WHITE wire is securely attached to the dogbone fuse. This fuse looks like a flat piece of metal shaped like a wrench andwill be on the right side right next to the battery box and solenoid. I believe theWHITE wire is attached to the bottom terminal screw of the dogbone.

I know firsthand that this electrical troubleshooting can be very frustrating but just relax. The guys on this forum are wonderful and quite knowledgeable. I thought my similar problem was a lost cause but with the help of my fine forum friends, we got it figured out.

Keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hey guys I'm back I think I may have found the problem I put my test light on tme solenoid switch that has the 30amp fuse and out of the four prongs on the plug two is hot could this cause everything to shut down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.