Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to do a 600 mile trip & would appreciate what I could check to make sure it's highway worthy before I go.

Bike runs great in town, but I have one major concern. When I press on the rear brake, I can feel just a little bit of a binding (but not quite grinding) noise coming from the front wheel. I'd like to know how to check the brake pads.

It's on a 1500 fyi.

Any questions you have, just ask.

Thank you very much

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Just pull the rotor covers off and everything will be staring at you. Let us know what you find. Otherwise check all your fluids, air pressures, and just give her a goo look.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
+1 on what's suggested already.

1x per week I put her on the center stand and then lie down close and personal at each end of the bike and rotate the tires slowly looking at Tread and each sidewall. Looking for Cracks, Foreign Objects or any other signs of an unhealthy tire wear.

Finally a do a spin of the tire to watch her rotation see if she is tracking true. Then Grab and flex/shake for loose bearings etc.

I try to envision how the tire would move if a swingarm bearing or axle bearings etc were loose and then try to make that happen.

Been doing that for a long time on many bikes but feel it is more important on these wings since they are so "heavy"

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...When I press on the rear brake, I can feel just a little bit of a binding (but not quite grinding) noise coming from the front wheel. I'd like to know how to check the brake pads...
Couple things to check:
-Verify that front left brake caliper is Centered on the rotor ...If the left fork tube is mis-located (during wheel installation), then the caliper can contract the bolts holding ont he rotor... usually sounds like a TickTickTick
-Verify that that Slide Pins and Bushings to the front left caliper are clean and lightly greased... These enable the caliper to float widthwise on the rotor, centering it for even wear and best braking.
-Verify the Minimum Thickness of the rotor exists
-Verify that the brake pads are intact (eg Not worn down to metal), and evenly worn between the two sides.
-If the pads and rotor are in good shape, and the noise remains, then lightly sand the pads and rotor with sand paper to remove any glazed finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.