Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a used pair of Progressive 416's shocks for the rear of my 1500, and have a question about the Installation.

1) Is there supposed to be a Hose, connecting the right and left shocks to one another, as well as to the Air Suspension System?... I only recieved the two shocks, hence am assuming that I'm missing something.

If no such hose is present, then that does that mean that the Air Suspension System is Incompatible with these shocks? (eg Disabled)

2) Are the shocks filled with Oil, and if so then What Type, How Much, and How do you do it? (I've filled the stock oil shock with oil before, and could easily suck it into the shock by manually extending the shock while having a hose connected to measured cup of oil... Can't do that with this one, as am unable to manually extend the shock)

3) How do you Remove the Oil Seal? I've removed the circlip and adjacent washer, but can't figure out how to grasp the oil seal. (Need to replace one of them which is leaking)

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

I can only answer #1 with authority:
There should be two hoses, actually plastic tubing that runs between the two shocks and a Tee that connects those two to the compressor line.

The Progressive site has instructions IIRC.

Hope you got a REALLY good deal on them...

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Ditto.I just installed on 84 but you still have to have those two lines with "T". Go to the Progressive site. They have some good tips also the 1200 site has some good stuff on rebuilding shocks. Also PM Neoracer he rebuilds these baby's all the time.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

You're missing some bits... It'll be worth a call to the guys at Progressive suspensions, really good to deal with (714.523.8700)

You'll need a few feet of airline, an airline "Tee", the adaptor (GL1500-Shock banjo-to-airline), and the o-rings and caps for each place that the airline connects (2-orings per location, 5-caps total). There's also a bushing (sleeve) that adapts the lower eye of the 416 to fitthe 1500's lower mounts.

The 416-1633GLA kits ship with the hose/tee/adaptor/bushings, but the GL1500 mouting stuff can be easily and rapidly acquired directly from Progressive for next-to-nothing (did I mention great to deal with?)

Here's the link to the 416 installation, which clearly describes the pneumatic connections and operation: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/shocks_shockSprings/3068-101.pdf

Here's the Seal replacement and oil-refil instructions for the 416's (You can use a bike pump as a pressure source, but a compressor is far more impressive -- same process as for the OEM air shock...) http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/shocks_shockSprings/3068-100.pdf

The document shows 2oz of ATF as the oil -- you can go with up to 6oz, IIRC. Personally about 4oz is where the GL1500 seems mroe balanced. Fluid type is not terribly critical -- used in the 416 as lubrication only - so stay away from the modified series "V" ATFs (good old DextronIII is fine)

:cheeky1:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Supper, Thx!

PO located the missing Air Line, so have got that on it's way... Am working with Progressive (which is just a few miles from me) to get the remaining parts.

:)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Update: Got the old seal removed without much difficulty at all... blew it out with an air hose (with rubber blow-tip), pressed into the intake nipple of the shock. New seal dropped right in, with little coaxing.

Am now just waiting on remaining parts, to connect the air lines.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Good luck with it Alex. Be careful with the "T" piece, they break easily when fitting it all together.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

having a hard time installing 416 0n a 2000 se goldwing bottom holes will not line up what can i do help help

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum BIGMAN34
Did you read the Progressive instructions?
Try putting a pry bar under the tire to lift it, if that's not enough use a 1x4 under the tire and wedge a 2x4 from the rear of the 1x4 as a fulcrum point. Just be sure and use a tie off from the center stand to the front frame(crash bar) to keep from pushing the bike off the center stand.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Bags only needed off. Leave the trunk in place.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

My 419 was about 1/8" too long, and had to use a crowbar (against a kludge to push against), to compress the shock. Progressive said that this situation is not unusual, as the Honda frames vary a lot in size.

Whatever you do, be careful not to tear the rubber bushings in the eyelets... I tore mine, and Progressive was nice enough to supply a replacement set for free.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Alex
Hate to tell you bro, that shock is upside down. The adjuster goes to the bottom mount.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Alex
Hate to tell you bro, that shock is upside down. The adjuster goes to the bottom mount.
> Hmm... does it matter? I've had it that way for ~3yrs now and is working good, so will probably leave it.

It was the Pin-to-pin-distance that was the problem for me... which of course would not change, regardless of the shock's orientation up/down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.