Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,809 Posts
Hi Dennis, I think you should pass on this one. Yeah the price is great, but cosmetic issues are too expensive to fix. It sounds like this guy has mickey moused some things. What other problems are you going to find when you get it home? Rayjoe
My thoughts exactly. The 1500 is one of the most difficult and complex bikes to diagnose and repair ever produced, wait for a nice one where every system is working correctly from the get go. You really don't know what you got or will find from previous hacks until all the plastic is removed.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
DriverRider;5125674 You really don't know what you got or will find from previous hacks until all the plastic is removed.[/QUOTE said:
I have to agree with that,even though it is a good price. Almost every piece I take off of the 1500 I bought a while back I find another issue that either was not repaired, or poorly repaired just enough to make the sale.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I agree that it sounds like it will be a lot of work to get it how you want it, both mechanically and cosmetically. I was just wondering why you would even be thinking of buying it if you think it is a step down from your 87. Maybe to resell it? Not sure that would be financially worth it considering all the work it will be to get it in good condition. Besides, as has already been pointed out, you really don't know what you are getting into until you start digging into the repairs and start finding a lot of other hidden problems.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I have seen two 1500s with the left timing belt loose where it was slapping the case. Did not notice any significantly abnormal noise from either before the belt swaps....

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Have a 2002 Gold Wing near me with only 32K miles and asking $6,500 for it. Afraid to look at it. Might get the urge to buy it. Yes, I have ridden many 1800s. What to do with the current bike? No one wants a bike with over 200,000 miles on it, no matter how good it looks or runs.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Have a 2002 Gold Wing near me with only 32K miles and asking $6,500 for it. Afraid to look at it. Might get the urge to buy it. Yes, I have ridden many 1800s. What to do with the current bike? No one wants a bike with over 200,000 miles on it, no matter how good it looks or runs.
gumbyred
Gumby,
:ROFL: I bet Dennis would be interested in your low mileage 1500. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I'm still undecided.
I usually find that when I see a bike I want, I absolutely know I want it regardless of any problems it may have. If I find myself trying to convince myself into buying one then the truth is I know deep down it's a bad decision for me. This looks to me that that you are trying to convince yourself that you want this bike.

·
Administrator
24,402 Posts
Three reasons I'm looking at other bikes.

1. Parts availability.

2. 30 years.

3. 287,000 miles.
So you have talked yourself out of that one I see. 88-89 are not the same as other 1500s so parts are iffy, 28 is not far from 30 & miles don't matter much. From your description I wouldn't give $1000 for that one, probably be hard to get $2500 for it in good shape.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I usually find that when I see a bike I want, I absolutely know I want it regardless of any problems it may have.
John, that's me all over! I didn't look nearly close enough before buying my current Aspencade. I tried to get a buddy of mine to go with me to look at it, but he was busy that day.:frown2: A week later I was so pumped on the bike wild horses couldn't stop me from the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Agree with the others - 88 & 89 had some drive-ability issues due to lean running conditions... Would require re-jetting at a minimum and other parts are not the same as other model years... I would pass and look for a later model year if that's what your interested in...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.