Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I suspect mine isn't the only radio cover that is broken. Probably just the nature of the beast and the age. My question is does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or experience in repairing the little plastic part that actually allows the cover to be locked in place ? Being as innovative as some are I have to believe (and hope) that someone has found a way to repair/replace this part of the cover to make it functional again. It sits on the bike just fine but is easily removable.

Thanks.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I have my cover hinged in place, this allows it to serve it's purpose at the same time provide a mounting place for other toy's :action::action:

·
751 Posts
imported post

I would be Looking at the tab that holds the cover on the bike see how much of the tab is accually there if not Much then you have 2 opptions you can go to a salvage yard in your neck of the woods & see if they have a radio cover for you it could be like $ 50.00 or you can get yourself some plastic welder like Devcon I got it at ace hardware part#s-220/22045 The stuff I have drys cream but Ive never noticed anyproblem & also it was the only color they had at the time ! also If you Bike salvage yard doen`t have anything try these guys www.datausa.com/steeles/

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hummer .. neither of your links worked. Another part of my problem is that there is a piece missing so glue isn't the problem. I basically need to rebuild that clip as it is a part of the cover, not a separate orderable piece.

96 ... I really don't want t hinge the cover to the bike. Seems like it would make it difficult to make adjustments while riding.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Sorry google it go to www.steelscycle.com also you can give them a call also my point with Devcon is you can make something that you need just get some abs plastic & Hell If I wasn`t using mine I would sell you mine but Iam so sorry

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

If i remember right cyclemax and big bike parts also started carrying those new, maybe even wingstuff.com too...check those out....

·
751 Posts
imported post

I understand But also if you can`t find any you may go here on the sight & go for sale/wanted & maysomeone has one to give you or buy for a low price !

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

LSC,

I actually made this repair about 2 months ago. May sound silly but it worked fine.

I used a metal single curtain rod bracket. Fitted it to the cover and decided how much to trim away. Used a hack saw and stationary grinder for the fine tuning and smoothing. Fastened the finished piece to the underside of the cover with Gorilla Glue. The metal is now stronger than the original plastic.

The repair can't be seen. Just try to trim the metal to the same shape and depth as the original plastic tab. There is room for error.

psu

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Any chance you could send me a photo ? This sounds promising. Wingstuff does have a cover for about $40 but it is just a smoked plastic one. It would do but I'd like to keep the cover I currently have.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Mine was missing when I bought the bike and after searching all over and finding all the used ones at the time running $50 or so, just sprung about $15 more and got a brand new OEM - most dealers can probably get them for you. I think I used Ronayers.com for mine. A lot of money for a little piece of plastic but at least it matches and works as it should.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

LSC,

Got your pm. Will try to get the info. to you tomorrow.

psu

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

LSC9901 wrote
96 ... I really don't want t hinge the cover to the bike. Seems like it would make it difficult to make adjustments while riding.
Not really, I cut notches out at the bottom for the Volume & Tone so I can adjust them without lifting the cover, the cover does not need to be latched so it takes nothing to flip it up & it stay's up till I flip it down, works for me. :waving::action::action:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, you can try Amazon.com and search PlastiFix Kit. The manufacture site is
www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/
The tab that helps lock the radio cover on, broke on mine. I didn't know about opening the gas cover and using using the opening mechanism. I just got the bike. 1995 1500 Goldwing SE

This kit can fix fairings and tabs and almost all plastic parts. They also sell other products for plastic repair. Good Luck and ride safe.

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
LSC: PM me your mailing info and I'll send you a cover gratis. Think I have a couple of them from when I had my '88. Looks like yours is an '88, so assume it will match. I think it is cosmo gray - solid, not smoked.

Edit: Just noticed this was a recycled 2011 post, so I assume LSC has long since fixed his problem. Offer stands, however. If anybody needs a 1500 radio cover (for your own use, not to resell!) PM me your address (continental U.S. please) and I'll send you one. No payment needed - just pay it forward by helping out someone else!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Just F.Y.I.
you can open the fuel cover door to find the little release button to remove the cover.
I put a little dab of white paint or white out on the button to make it easier to locate
;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.