Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, my friends 88' 1500 wont save the radio channels when you turn the key off. it keeps the clock memory but not the radio channels is this an easy fix? what should i do?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi 86 one of the connectors in the radio is the memory try pushing in the connectors

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

how do i get access to the radio?, i was reading about a 5 amp fuse, where is it located?

there are two levers to pull the radio under the fuel cap compartment, i've moved those levers but i cant get the radio assembly to move. what am i missing' where should i start? where is that connector you're talking about Peter?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

you have to remove the seat to get the radio cover off there istwo bolts under it but if you sit on the bike and put your hands under the neck of the radio you can feel the connectors in a rubber booth just pull them towards you i think the 5amp is in the relay box if my memory serves me right i might have a loose connection there my self:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok thanks i checked all 5amp fuses on the fuse box and were fine (with mutltitester) might give it another try some other day

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
imported post

In order to work on the 1500, the first thing is to ALWAYS remove the seat.For some reason,it seems, if you have to change a brake light bulb, the seat has to come off!!

suks2bu37

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

you have a memory fuse which is constant power to hold memory & a main radio power fuse which powers up the radio with the ignition. So you just have to find the location of your radio memory fuse!

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

You may want to check the fuse inside the relay box next to the regular fuses. It's seperate from the rest of the fuses. This may be what yo are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

First off, the 1988 GL 1500 is 21 years old. I have a 1989 GL1500. There have been reports of corrosion on the back of the Fuse/Relay Box. Not your problem if the clock keeps memory. I did have a radio problem several years ago and found a plug not completely plugged in on the back of the radio/cassette.

Fuse/Relay Box: 5 amp fuse, #9 (always hot) if you count down on the row of fuses on the left side of the box. #9 fuse is the memory fuse for CB, Radio Cassette, and the clock, also supplies power (key off or on) to the trunk Light (if the bike has one).
If the clock keeps time after the ignition key is switched off, then on, your radio memory problem is somewhere else.

A red with yellow stripe wire goes from fuse #9 direct (no plugs between) to the white 18 pin plug on the bottom of the Radio/Cassette.

You might try unplugging,clean, then plug in the white 18 pinplug. Maybe just a bad connection.
Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my '88 GL 1500. I confirmed back-up power to the radio connector which told me the problem was inside the radio. I sent it to Sierra Electronics for repair. I just got it back and it works great. Cost $100 including return shipping. A diode was blown when someone reversed the polarity of a battery charger or jumper cables.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

THERE ARE TWO FUSES IN THE ' RELAY ' BOX ALONGSIDE THE MAIN FUSE BOX. THE COVER IS HARD TO REMOVE UNLESS YOU TAKE OUT THE BOLTS IN THE LEFT HAND PANNIER TO GIVE IT SOME SLACK, THEN YOU CAN REMOVE THE LID ON THE RELAY BOX. I DONT KNOW WHY THEY DIDN'T KEEP ALL THE FUSES IN THE FUSE BOX, YOU WILL HAVE TO ASK MR HONDA ABOUT THAT ONE. THOSE FUSES COULD BE THE PROBLEM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.