Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Interesting story so if you have a minute read on........................

My bride has a 1996 SE Motor Trike conversion and was just beautiful. On my birthday on the 5th of August she was hit exiting a parking lot and the trike rolled over! By the grace of God she walked away without a single scratch whatsoever. We just got the trike back this past Sunday, the trike body was replaced and the entire bike recieved a full paint job. The radio volume is just not there, I had a chance to look a little bit at it tonight and the mute button does nothing. Being the entire bike was dismantled for painting could there be a plug that was not plugged back in during the reassembly process or something else to check for. I wont get a chance to try anything until this weekend and sure would like to get this sorted out as I will be going TDY to Fort Bliss for 3 months starting Jan 2nd. Happy new year y'all. As always thanks for the help in advance, this Forum and all its members has never failed to amaze me with its wealth of knowledge.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

Al,

Check all your fuses. I believe it is the 5A when blown will cause the radio volume to be low.

JD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Luxo2r wrote:
Interesting story so if you have a minute read on........................

My bride has a 1996 SE Motor Trike conversion and was just beautiful.
Your bride or the trike? :?
Careful how you answer that now.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Your bride or the trike? :?
Careful how you answer that now.
My bride of course and the Trike wasn't too bad looking either! :thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good answer

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Pop the key switch cover off, then you can push in on the radio connectors. there hidden under the bulky rubber cover.A loose connection will cause the mute to stay activated all the time.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

If your radio wont keep programmed stations (and low volume)in memory after turning off/on then it is the 5 amp fuse under the left side cover to the right (rear) of the main fuse box, where the relays are located.
Otherwise could be a mute problem as mentioned.
Check the mute switch.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

If your radio wont keep programmed stations (and low volume)in memory after turning off/on then it is the 5 amp fuse under the left side cover to the right (rear) of the main fuse box, where the relays are located.
Otherwise could be a mute problem as mentioned.
Check the mute switch.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Like I said, you guys are awesome, I failed to mention that it didn't hold programing so it sure sounds like you guys hit the nail on head. Will check that fuse when I get home from work.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

INcidently, I think that is the fuse that is NOT in the fuse box but in theRELAY box..

That is the most common cause (if not the mute)

Also, if it is not the fuse or mute, it then might be an internal problem of the radio. I had the same low volume symptoms that were a result of PC board issuethat were never resolved (two trips to Sierra).. probably a cracked board... I finally replaced the radio..

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok I had to remove the seat and side cover and even unbolted the fuse/relay box but because of the motor trike conversion i can't remove it from its hiding place. I've tried and tried, also including a picture as a visual aid. Any ideas anyone??

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That's a bugger w/the trike body! At least I can pull my bag off which is bad enough as there is soo much added chrome it takes an hr to do.
Is there a bolt under the side of the body to loosen the body and pry it out some?
Have you tried to hook the relay cover open w/a hook under the tabs?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

there is not enuf room to get just the cover off! i am beginning to really bum over this trike. once we got a chance to ride it we find there is a really bad vibration somewhere as well. There never was before and after the repair shop "forgot" to fill the rear end and the rear end locked up and they had to replace the ring and pinion now there is a vibration. hard to believe the fella rode it 100 miles to deliver it and never felt the vibration :shock: ??? i looked online for install instructions and found a PDF but no pictures or drawings, anyone out there have the ones with the pictures and drawings?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Install what? Rear end? Trike body?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sounds like they need to get it back and fix it! Or buy it back!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I have a 89 regular GL1500 and if I remember right you can flex the plastic just barely enough to wiggle the relay and fuse box out. It feels like it won't go then pops out. I figured this out when trying to get to the relays and did not want to pull the saddle bag. I don't know if this helps or not.

Sharn

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

install instructions for a GL1500 motor trike is what i am looking for complete with all the pretty drawings and pictures

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I don't know if this would be of any help to you, but I think it merits mentioning in this thread:

At one point in time, doing unrelated service to the bike, I discovered that one of the electrical connectors on the back of the stereo unit itself was a tad loose. The connector itself was holding just fine, but the actual wires' terminals themselves had lost their tightness. Using a simple, flathead, jeweler's screwdriver, I tweaked the female terminals so that they'd have a tighter grip on the male terminals...and to cover all my bases, I tweaked ALL the female terminals in BOTH connectors (there are two bundled-wire connectors on the back side of the stereo unit. After doing this, the radio came on louder and clearer than it had ever been since I'd owned it! YAY!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.