Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you All will let you know my findings after i remove the right saddle bag.
Appreciate the active chat on this. I know we will get my wing flying again.

Tom

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Great news everyone, Thank you DaveO430 I finally received my newly soldered transistor and the pump sent gas to the carburetor and yes we are started. The engine runs wonderful, except I am seeing a new leak in the Petcock after doing the rebuild. I am going to take the Petcock apart again and see if there is any cracks or damage, the new gasket and spring should still be good.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
You are all the best

Will keep the forum posted on the next update
:)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Sunday Update
Well here we go again, engine will not start with the same original symptom, I wonder if the new transistor also fried? WIth a voltmeter, ignition on and start button pushed I am getting 9+ volts to the fuel pump. (So happy I didn't reassemble the bike yesterday) I guess the question now is a bad computer or something else that is shorting this transistor. Back to troubleshooting, we were close, any new ideas?

Forgot to mention that after a rebuild of the Petcock, the engine started and ran wonderfully
Looks like after a few starts the transistor or something is blocking current to fuel pump
Thank you for all your support

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Sunday Update
Well here we go again, engine will not start with the same original symptom, I wonder if the new transistor also fried? WIth a voltmeter, ignition on and start button pushed I am getting 9+ volts to the fuel pump. (So happy I didn't reassemble the bike yesterday) I guess the question now is a bad computer or something else that is shorting this transistor. Back to troubleshooting, we were close, any new ideas?

Forgot to mention that after a rebuild of the Petcock, the engine started and ran wonderfully
Looks like after a few starts the transistor or something is blocking current to fuel pump
Thank you for all your support
You are aware that the puel pump will not pump of you just turn on the ignition. You must use the start button to spin the engine over. The ECM only sends power to the fuel pump if the engine is turning over or running. If you unplug the fuel pump then go back to the ECM amd back probe the wire you should see the test light turn on each time you turn the engine over.

·
Administrator
25,783 Posts
Sunday Update
Well here we go again, engine will not start with the same original symptom, I wonder if the new transistor also fried? WIth a voltmeter, ignition on and start button pushed I am getting 9+ volts to the fuel pump. t
You are getting voltage to the pump so the transistor is obviously working. The concern is that it is only 9 volts. It may be that the battery voltage is not enough to fire the ignition.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The battery is reading 12.42 Cold in the bike. When I disconnect the Black/ Blue wire from the pump and use a test light on it (Pop the back open to get in the connection Pic below), there is no light indicating when I turn the engine over.

As I have a clear fuel Filter I see fuel in there (from yesterday's Success) but do not see any activity when i am turning the engine over (I expect to see flow) I am going to charge the battery back to Full charge and try again.

I am not sure of the test you are asking
"If you unplug the fuel pump then go back to the ECM amd back probe the wire you should see the test light turn on each time you turn the engine over." Does my test do the same thing as the ECM is connected to the harness and should be sending power to the Pump connector?
Thank you for your patience and continued solutions. Very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Pwhoever
3,133 Posts
Did you try stress testing the fuel pump? I might suggest taking a long piece of gas tube, attach one end to the pump output and the other into a jar. Raise it up about head high and then use a jumper from positive side of battery to the "B" post of the pump. See if it can push fuel into that glass jar. If it cant, then your problem is going to be the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you Very much for the test. I will give it a shot, i am guessing that a poor fuel pump might put extra stress on the ECU possibly causing the transistor to blow.
Fixing the transistor is the easy part. I am hoping the Fuel pump is now the culprit, seems like a nice free test to try.
Thank you again, i will report my findings.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,309 Posts
Thank you Very much for the test. I will give it a shot, i am guessing that a poor fuel pump might put extra stress on the ECU possibly causing the transistor to blow.
Fixing the transistor is the easy part. I am hoping the Fuel pump is now the culprit, seems like a nice free test to try.
Thank you again, i will report my findings.

No, it won't harm the ECU/ECM ( terminology )

the current to the motor is the same, the pump just fails to output the designed flow rate.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Tom,

I have an extra ECU I can send you for testing... let me know if you need it.....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you Rick, I am going to do the pressure test on the pump first and see what the outcome is.
I do know that with the new transistor the pump worked, engine fired and ran, it wasn't until i shut it off and tried to restart it that the pump stopped getting power.

I am afraid i will fry your ECU ;)
I will keep the group posted/

Small steps will eventually lead to success, i can feel it.
Thank you
Tom

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Final disposition on the problem.
Thank you all for the great advice and direction, we have resurrected my wing and she flies again.

At the end of the day, it looked like the transistor was indeed the problem. Once it was replaced and the Yellow wiring harness was securely attached to the ECM, the engine started and continues to run well. I am reassembling the bike today and using my memory I have been successful thus far, still a few pieces to go and I will take it out for a test ride.
Post #3 was the answer.
Thank you again, Dave

Thanks to all who participated, I learned a lot through this adventure
Tom

·
Administrator
25,783 Posts
I think if it were mine I would consider adding a relay to the circuit and use the ECU feed to operate the relay instead of running the pump directly. I know the failure rate of those transistors is low but there are enough failures for it to be a concern.

Reactions: AZgl1800
21 - 33 of 33 Posts