Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a '91 Interstate with no onboard compressor. When I pull the handy airline out of the right bag to check or give the shock a little air ... out spews gobs of oil. I have only done this twice so far and maybe won't again if there is no fix.

Is this a shock oil that shouldn't be leaking? Did a PO give up on the air and fill with oil instead? Have I got a shock with a bad seal somewhere in need of replacing?

Kind of at a loss here and ruined 1 good pressure gauge already (they don't work so good full of oil)

Any thoughts?

Thaks

Pat

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Working ? I guess ... can force some air in but can't gauge how much.

Is there a tutorial here for replacing air shock seals? Haven't looked yet.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I am a major non believer in air suspension, but I don't believe you have any choice on the 1500. You can get a brand new oem shock for $300, I have no idea what is involved in rebuilding it, but I do know that working on shocks and forks are not the most pleasant jobs on any motorcycle. My 1200 air shocks leaked air, and the springs were too weak to run without air. Rather than even mess with them, I just ordered a set of Progressive non air shocks with springs and bolted them on. Much happier with the ride now. Best $214 I have spent on this bike so far.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Just buy a cheap $1 gauge to check the oily shock air LOL
That's what I did with my 1100, I had same problem with oil spewing out the air valve, both shocks were fine.

I'm not sure about the 1500, I have onboard air so I don't manually mess with the shock air.

On the 1100 I thought maybe I had a bad internal seal or something, but been told there is nothing between the air and fluid.
I flushed my shocks and refilled them to proper level, but I still got the oil in the air lines again.
Never figured it out, just figure if not broke don't fix it and just use a $1 gauge to check them.
Not messed up the gauge yet, but if it does then I'll just get another for $1.
I figure long as the shocks work properly a few $1 gauges is better than $200 or more for new shocks LOL

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Just buy a cheap $1 gauge to check the oily shock air LOL
That's what I did with my 1100, I had same problem with oil spewing out the air valve, both shocks were fine.

I'm not sure about the 1500, I have onboard air so I don't manually mess with the shock air.

On the 1100 I thought maybe I had a bad internal seal or something, but been told there is nothing between the air and fluid.
I flushed my shocks and refilled them to proper level, but I still got the oil in the air lines again.
Never figured it out, just figure if not broke don't fix it and just use a $1 gauge to check them.
Not messed up the gauge yet, but if it does then I'll just get another for $1.
I figure long as the shocks work properly a few $1 gauges is better than $200 or more for new shocks LOL
You have a point, and as far as I can tell I am not lacking for maybe no air. Doesn't bottom out or do anything else weird. I'll just live with it for now.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

save your time and money and find a trike builders and see if they have a shock, mine was £40. the rebuild is tricky knowing what i know now i would just replace with a second hand one rather than rebuid

andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.