Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Own sidecar rig. Always try tocheckbrake pads, as theyworkharder.Run EBC HH pads on Wing;haddone both front in early Spring. Waited a few weeks on rear,to putnew rear tire on, replace rubber drive blocks, relube splines anddo alltogether. Had previously checked rear caliper andthe brake pad I could see showedlittle wear. Assumed all was well ........WRONG!
Rearcaliper floats on twin pins, so it can move left/right and padswill wear evenly. Upper front pin was fine[well lubed]. Lower rear pin was FROZEN in caliper, due to lack of lubrication and resulting severe corrosion[rubber boots on pin were very brittle; crumbled when working on pin removal]. This forced severe wear on one pad and when caliper was pulled, back of worn pad was only a few miles from metal-to-metal contact withrotor!After pin was freed up[a NASTY job!]so much play resulted due to wear and rust removal, that new OEM pin from VENCO literally floated in it'scaliper bore!Must now obtain new rear caliper; replace during winter rig storage. A BUMMER, but am Most Grateful this problem was found in time!.
It appears to yours truly that design of rear pin setup, could have been done better, w/ MORE lube storage built in[has very little]. If this had been done, I doubtit would have been necessary for me to replace the caliper at all. Hope this helps others. TTFN......Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH :)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the heads up. I too have hack. I'm new to this rig, only had it from this summer. Do you find the sidecar brake wear out fast? The master cylinder is soooo small for the sidecar.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

That is a maintenance item, should be lubed with every brake pad change and if that had been done it would not have corroded. Also you rig is getting old and rubber parts do deteriorate with time.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the heads up. I have new pads and rotor to install over Christmas. I'll remember to check those.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

papasmurf & Fehead - can you guys post pics of your rigs? I'll be hanging a sidecar on my GL1500 in spring. Already have the mounts installed. This was great advice BTW regarding lubing the pins. What are you guys using for lube? I bought some Permatex anti-seize compound recently - will this work?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

For me, I think I would use Moly60.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I have some Moly60 too. Will have to check what manual calls for. Permatex actually sells an anti-seize lube (2 different ones actually) intended for brake caliper maintenance.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

FeHead - thnx for posting pic. Nice looking rig, and it looks like the kids are having a blast!

Dusty - thnx, yes that's the stuff I saw on the Permatex website. I'll see if I can pick some up at Cdn Tire... sure I'll be able to find some somewhere in the city.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Either at CTC, or Princess Auto

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Those are my two churches (Canadian Tire & Princess Auto). I never miss a sale flyer. :thumbsup:
I haven't been to Princess Auto yet as each and every time I've headed West toward Princess Auto the bike gyrates, shakes and heads East into the hills.:?

Cambodian Tyre I do know and find that the prices on name brand items is no better than elsewhere and if it says MotorCrap on the label it's usually as the label says Crap.:shock:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Man - we are seriously hijacking this thread! Many of the MotoMaster products are rebadged items from major suppliers. Their Formula 1 motor oil for example is Shell. Gotta buy stuff on sale - they do have great sale prices. Although Princess Auto does sell some made in Canada (or the US) stuff, like Canadian Tire, a lot of it is made in China stuff too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.