Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my 2000 Goldwing taken apart to complete some needed replacement and maintenance. Having to remove a Trigg Trike Kit outrigger
setup, in addition to the usual tear down, makes me want to be sure that I have to deal with the procedure only when completely necessary. Having said that, my rear brake rotor is showing a thickness of 6.5 mm. Is that enough to continue using it? If not is there a recommended aftermarket rotor available that does not require me to sell my firstborn to afford it? I'm hoping 6.5 mm is sufficient. And while I'm in that area, what brand brake pads are tried and true?

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
I currently have my 2000 Goldwing taken apart to complete some needed replacement and maintenance. Having to remove a Trigg Trike Kit outrigger
setup, in addition to the usual tear down, makes me want to be sure that I have to deal with the procedure only when completely necessary. Having said that, my rear brake rotor is showing a thickness of 6.5 mm. Is that enough to continue using it? If not is there a recommended aftermarket rotor available that does not require me to sell my firstborn to afford it? I'm hoping 6.5 mm is sufficient. And while I'm in that area, what brand brake pads are tried and true?
Honda says 6 mm is minimum so you are fine and dandy.:)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Using OEM brake pads should give you the best bang for your buck. They do a great job of braking and don't wear the rotor excessively.

Replacement rotors can be found readily on Ebay, both new and used, for a reasonable price.

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
It's fine to use a rotor that is worn even below minimum specs but don't resurface it. They told us that at BMW training years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your rotor still has life in it. Like what others have said. Stay with OEM pads. After market pads are known to be unkind the the Rotors.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great advice! I will use my existing rotor, and have ordered some
OEM Honda brake pads!

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
It's fine to use a rotor that is worn even below minimum specs but don't resurface it. They told us that at BMW training years ago.
What Dave said. The reason they set the minimum is because of mass. If it gets to thin it can overheat more easily. If you don't drive aggressively or pull a heavy trailer you are OK even below minimums. I have at least one on my bike now that is below minimum. Been on for two years.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Depending on how you apply your brakes will dictate how well you may feel about letting the front or the back go for a while. Since I started primarily trail breaking, yes even in turns, with front brakes the back set should last a very long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts