Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there, needin some experienced help please! I am the new proud owner of a 1993 1500 fully loaded with matching trailer and helmets. My problem is what i stated, when i apply rear brakes, there is noyhing there. I did try to bleed but as i read on here you need to bleed front first. Any ideas? Also this bike has set for who knows how long, is it possible my acceleration is bad gas? Thanks for any ideas. Dave:?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

If it's been sitting for a long time, you need to change the gas before the old crap gets in the carbs. Old gas is always bad. The rear brake pedal handles the rear and the right front rotor. The front lever controls the left front rotor only. Bleed the brakes and see if it fixes it. If not, you'll have to check the calipers.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

On the 1500, you bleed the front left caliper 1st (not the right, which is controlled by the front brake lever) and then the rear. If you have properly bled the brakes in the correct sequence til all the bubbles have stopped, try taking the cap off of the rear MC and tying the brake pedal down overnight. See if that works.

Old gas is bad for the bike. Add a can of Seafoam and fill with fresh gas. Start it up and let it idle for 10-15 minutes before riding away.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Congadts on your new bike and welcome to the Forum.
Dusty is correct on the left front on the 1500. While you are at it change all the brake and clutch fluids. Suck out the old from the masters and clean out the crud in them then fill with fresh and bleed.
If you have removed the old gas and put in seafoam in fresh gas, it may take several treatments/tanks and lots of riding before the gunk in the jets clear out. Ride it hard and lots. Thats what they like. If you don't ride it lots, it will take removing the carbs and cleaning them.
Also change the gas filter now and in @ 1000 miles as if there is any rust in the tank the seafoam will break some loose. Napa 3003 filter is a great alternative as it is clear so you can see when it is dirty/crusty.
Be sure and inspect the tank for rust.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Put in a new Fuel Filter too... I've seen old filters (from bike sitting 5yrs) that were full of what looked like "chalk", from the gas having dried up... It would be bad to suck all that into your carb.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for replys you guys took the bike for about a 150 ride today. It ran about the same and nrver did get the brakes bled. I ran about a half can of seafoam in full tank but only rode about 70 miles that way. Ill try more seafoam hopefully does the trick

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

If you are getting no brakes at all from the pedal, calipers may be seized. Try bleeding them first it that doesn't work then check calipers.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

They are right about the brakes bleed the front first then the back. One thing I used was one of those one man brake bleeders. Tubeing with a small collection bottle to keep air from getting back in to the caliper. One thing I always recommend when I see these posts is to put the collection bottle on the front Caliper. Then either tie the brake pedal down or set a sledge hammer on the pedal. (that's what I do) leave it overnight (make sure the collection bottle and tubing is higher than the caliper) usually in the morning you will find air in the tubing. The reason for this is the Brake lines run a really long distance and sometimes the air just takes a little longer to work it's way out. You don't seem to have the same problem in the back. My pedal was hard with almost no travel after I did that.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

One thing I will add after you do flush fill and bleed top off rear brake resivor and pump rear pedal by hand continuesly watch rear resivor and dont let it run dry or you are sucking air back into system when you get pressure back on pedel then tie the pedal down or use a short screw driver from pedal to valve cover handel at valve cover after you have pressure and while holding pedal down put that screw driver in between to hold pedal down, top off rear resivor and cap . then walk away overnight and all the next day, if you get pedal but still soft repeat, repeat, process till you work all the millions of microscopic bubbles out, dont laugh!!! there in there.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

nac, when you push the pedal, does it just sink all the way down? Or do you meet some resistance?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I have a 92 GL1500I that is having rear brake issues. Worked fine till about 2 weeks ago when I had no pedal at all. It would get better as I would ride now there is nothing at all. Bled front left with new fluid but still no pressure at pedal.:?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

rtyndallnc wrote:
I have a 92 GL1500I that is having rear brake issues. Worked fine till about 2 weeks ago when I had no pedal at all. It would get better as I would ride now there is nothing at all. Bled front left with new fluid but still no pressure at pedal.
Rtyndallnc. Did you bleed the front and then the back? You have to do both. Also, please list mileage and state in your profile.

To anybody having brake issues; a vacuum bleeder is your best friend. Get one.

I say that over and over, but so few learn. :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Bike has 53000 miles. I am really not familiar with bikes like I am cars so I am learning as I go. I did the back brakes first and could not get both pistons to go back in. if I pushed in on one the other would go out. if I pushed in on both they would not budge but I didn't open the bleeder when doing that. Thinking I was gonna take it to the shop I put everything back on.

After reading about brakes in the book I checked the front left. Taking the covers off I found grease all over the wheel , rotor and calipers. Still not sure where the grease came from but I cleaned all that off. I took the rear reservoir off, cleaned it really well then filled it and put it back on, bled the front left brake getting all the old fluid out. I have yet to remove all that stuff to get to the rear again.

So it sounds like I am fixin to buy a vacuum bleeder and start removing stuff again. Gotta get this fixed cause I live riding in this fall weather.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Ok, different problem with brakes. I bought the vacuum pump and bled the brakes. This seemed to solve the issue of no rear brakes until I went for a short ride. Noticed the pedal got very stiff now the brakes (rear and front left) will not release to the point I cannot push the bike though I can put it in gear and get it on the lift. I bled the left front brake which then released both calipers. What do y'all suggest now?? Thanks

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

What you should of done 1st was to empty the master cylinder of brake fluid (a Turkey Baster works well) and then clean all the crud out of it using Q-tips and a clean rag.. Then repeat for the front brake MC and the clutch.

There is a tiny return hole in each MC and I'll bet it's plugged up with said crud. Get a single strand of wire from a wire brush and work that in the hole until you clear the blockage of crud.

Do a search here for the location of the tinyreturn hole/port in the MC.

WARNING: - don't allow any of the brake fluid to drip on your plastic!! Cover the area around the MC with clean shop rags to avoid that.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have a plugged hole in the master cylinder. Remove the rear master cylinder and look at the bottom of it. There is a very tiny hole that is stopped up. It is hard to see but it is there. Some have had success with using a guitar string. Also one single wire from a wire brush might fit it. Anyway that is the classic symptoms of that hole being plugged in the master cylinder.

Here is a picture of where to look for the tiny hole. The pin with a flag is sticking in the hole.

Edit:

Looks like Dusty beat me to the problem while I was composing my reply. Oh well, I tried.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Thanks to both for the answers, that pic is great. I was afraid this was the problem. Seems that getting to the MC is more difficult than the fix. I did start with a clean reservoir but taking off the MC on this bike is no easy task unless y'all know of an easier way than what the Haynes manual shows. Can't get the darn exhaust chamber off.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Well, back again with brake problems. I removed the rear MC and cleaned it up really good with special attention to the tiny hole. Put it all back together and now I cannot get it to do anything. I tried bleeding and have pumped that vacuum pump till my arm is sore. Best I can tell the MC is just not pumping anything. Any ideas or suggestions??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.