Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i am new to this site and am also new to goldwings though i do drive a number of other bikes. i have a 1997 gl1500 which I have acquired very recently. i understood it to have linked brakes. unfortunately i do not yet have an owners manual nor a work shop manual. when i hit the rear brake pedal nothing happens. front brakes working fine on the front brake lever. visual inspection suggests all is fine. fluid in reservoir and pads in caliper etc. any ideas any one?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

my master cylinder for the rear brakes went out would push fluid but also sucked it right back. have you tried to bleed them off? you should have an acess hole in your left saddle bag

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

first try to bleed the rear calipers and then the front right caliper which if its like the 1200 is linked together,
do you change pads in the right front?

u might try cracking the right bleeder to start and see if u get anything out of it

if it sat for awhile they might be stuck they spraying some pb blaster or wd40 on the pucks w/o getting it on the pads and see what happens

hmmm,ireland welcome to the site... near the ocean? saltwater corrosion hopefully you'll get it straigtened out at least so u can ride

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

the bike has been sitting up for a time and i suppose bleeding the brake fluid is the first port of call. thank you for your help and welcome. it hasn't been exposed too much to the atlantic salt water! hell of a comfortable ride and dare i say it, remarkably sporty !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum de crowe from Waco Tx. In the FAQ forum there are some free download manuals. Courtesy of one the members of this site. Might not have your 97 but should get you in the ball park.:waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I have a 1997 GL1500 also and had exactly the same problem, over the winter the rear brakestopped working it is garaged over the winter.

Just bled the front and rearit took quite a bit of time especially the rear butthere working now. Wished I'd known about the access holein the rear left saddle bag I took the saddle bag off.

Terry

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

:)Hi when you say brake not working is pedal going down a long way,I recently purchased 1995 gl 1500 that had been stood for 2 years,mine had this problem.Took calipers off removed pads.pushed out pistons,dust seals had lots of dust crud on them.Cleaned dust seal replaced with a little silicon spray.Cleaned pistons with fine wire wool.Replaced pads,refitted calipers,rebled brakes with new brake fluid.Movement on pedal and levers now fine.I D say caliper pistons are full crud:waving:

al

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

many thanks for you help. having examined it as best i could agree with the general prognosis that the pistons/caliper are probably seized from lack of use. i have left it into a shop to attend to the brakes and to do a general service. it has only 21,000 miles and since i fitted a new battery, is apart from the brakes, running very well. fresh oil and filters will do it no harm. many thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

first try to bleed the rear calipers and then the front right caliper which if its like the 1200 is linked together,
do you change pads in the right front?

Two things...........

1. On the GL1500, the left front caliper is linked to the
rear brake system.

2. You always need to bleed the front caliper first. The
one farther away from the master cylinder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.