Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys- I need some quick advice on my latest project... Now that I have the front tire replaced, along with new bearings, I have moved on to the rear... I have to put some new rubber on, and change wheel bearings there as well. While I am at it, I am going through whatever else I can as it will be all apart.

The dust cover/boot on the air shock is ripped due to weathering. Where is the best place to find another?

The exhaust collector box is bad, does anyone have one they want to get rid of that is in decent shape? how long should it take to remove one of the headers (in order to remove/install new chamber box)? Any tricks to doing this job?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Its an awfull job removing the headers, I just went through the process myself.
I have a stainless steel header system and crossover pipe for sale if you're interested. It gets rid of that monster collector box and sounds a little throatier.
You will need to remove the right hand side header and replace the manifold gaskets that sit inside the cylinder head recess. Then you wrangle the collector box off the other header by twisting and pulling . YUK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an awfull job removing the headers, I just went through the process myself.
I have a stainless steel header system and crossover pipe for sale if you're interested. It gets rid of that monster collector box and sounds a little throatier.
You will need to remove the right hand side header and replace the manifold gaskets that sit inside the cylinder head recess. Then you wrangle the collector box off the other header by twisting and pulling . YUK.
Thanks for the info... I guess since I have done timing belts, had the front end apart, and now the rear, I guess removing the headers is just another thing I can say I have done!

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
The exhaust collector box is bad, does anyone have one they want to get rid of that is in decent shape? how long should it take to remove one of the headers (in order to remove/install new chamber box)? Any tricks to doing this job?
Lots of guys have snapped header mounting studs when removing nuts. Apply heat with torch prior to removal and you will have no problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You will need new copper sealing washers when you put the header back on. I just pulled mine last night. I had to pull both of them as the collector would not clear the rear tire. Needed another ¼ inch! You will also need to pull the front crash bar(s). The bar is in the way to get to one of the header nuts.
From the last post, my header nuts came right off, no heat needed.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
If you take the left header off dont forget to install the piece of bodywork around the sidestand at the same time as you refit the header. It cannot be fitted once the header is in place, trust me .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, got THAT done! removing the header nuts were easy, once the crash bar was off! I installed the new crush washers, crash bar, and the body work. Changed out the air shock fluid as well. Now I am just waiting on Cyclemax to send me new O-rings and the rubber bushings for the drive flange.

Now, if only we would get some warm weather to melt the 30 inches of snow still on the ground!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.