Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a J&M BLF-GL15SIA Brake Light Flasher Module. It is operating intermittently (sometimes flashes, then solid light, as it should / sometimes just normal brake light function without flashes / sometimes makes noise as if flashing with very slight flashing ). Amazingly, I was able to get a copy of the installation & operation manual from J&M. It apparently hasn't been made for many, many years. A really nice guy at J&M found a printed copy in their front office, and mailed it to me....in an envelope ! He said it was the only one he could find.
Anyway, it shows the connection method, but is not very detailed. The flasher, when it works, controls the trunk lights, and also the spoiler lights on my 1997 GL1500SE. Anyone have any info on the workings of this device. IE, does it control the brake light relays for both the trunk and spoiler, or does it bypass the factory relays, and provide for the 6V/12V needed to provide proper function of the spoiler LED's. Posted the instructions I have. Thought maybe someone might be familiar with this device.
The drawing shows a wiring harness with four plugs, that connects in series with the factory tail/brake light connectors under the rear trunk cover, that harness then connects to the flasher. The same harness also has 2 small, 2-pin plugs that connect in series to a small set of factory 2-pin plugs "under the seat at the left rear".
Any ideas ?.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have one that is similar..but not JM. bought it when I first got the Wing. I actually had to splice wires...not just plug in. Had to find on the brake lights a green & green/yellow wire set that was power when the brakes were applied. Then there was a blue pair and a red pair, these went to the brake light themselves. The trunk spoiler was also added the etiher the blue or red pairs.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine which is a different unit than both of yours, it's in a skin colored case with no name markings on it and the installer in 1999-2000, used scotchlocks to tap into the wiring on the bike:lash::lash::lash: GRRRRRRRRR!
Mine has a LED switch on the switch block that flashes when the wig wag is working properly, so I know when I have to drop the lower trunk cover and wiggle the wires to get it working again.
I know I need to rewire a bunch of stuff on this bike but because of blowing out 2 discs in my back 2 1/2 years ago(just before being given this bike) I have put it off, it's on the to do list.

I have seen one like yours wingpilot96 on another 1500 a friend has.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
OK of all the wig wags made, which one would y'all suggest???...I have seen several different brands, on e-bay and with almost all the "after market supply houses...At all kinds of prices...Like you Sty this is a to do later project, maybe????

I can feel for you Stu on your back, me having two prior surgeries maybe looking at another one soon????..Back in May and June I helped, well mostly just me, bring my oldest sons 2004 Harley Sportster back to "factory wiring"...The PO had cut wires, taped together, the head light on bright, the brake lights were on "stop" all the time, Man it was a huge mess, but after setting on a foot stool, that bike up on a lift I was able to get it all done, but I went home Every night hurting...Because "IF" I got it wired, put back together like factory, my son was paying my way to NASSIR 5..I wanted to go really bad, we did go, but brother I won't do that again!!!!..

Scotch locks???? I hate them things yet under my Jeep, when U-Haul installed my trailer hitch, there WERE a bunch of them, lights on my trailer were acting weird....I took those "scotch locks" off, cut those wires installed some plug in sockets I had left over from my chemical plant days doing all of the wiring on all of the equipment in that plant...Water tight and my trailer lights work great!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine which is a different unit than both of yours, it's in a skin colored case with no name markings on it and the installer in 1999-2000, used scotchlocks to tap into the wiring on the bike:lash::lash::lash: GRRRRRRRRR!
Mine has a LED switch on the switch block that flashes when the wig wag is working properly, so I know when I have to drop the lower trunk cover and wiggle the wires to get it working again.
I know I need to rewire a bunch of stuff on this bike but because of blowing out 2 discs in my back 2 1/2 years ago(just before being given this bike) I have put it off, it's on the to do list.

I have seen one like yours wingpilot96 on another 1500 a friend has.
So stop by sometime and we can do those wire connections together in my garage! :letsplay:

Duh!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
OK of all the wig wags made, which one would y'all suggest???...I have seen several different brands, on e-bay and with almost all the "after market supply houses...At all kinds of prices...Like you Sty this is a to do later project, maybe????

I can feel for you Stu on your back, me having two prior surgeries maybe looking at another one soon????..Back in May and June I helped, well mostly just me, bring my oldest sons 2004 Harley Sportster back to "factory wiring"...The PO had cut wires, taped together, the head light on bright, the brake lights were on "stop" all the time, Man it was a huge mess, but after setting on a foot stool, that bike up on a lift I was able to get it all done, but I went home Every night hurting...Because "IF" I got it wired, put back together like factory, my son was paying my way to NASSIR 5..I wanted to go really bad, we did go, but brother I won't do that again!!!!..

Scotch locks???? I hate them things yet under my Jeep, when U-Haul installed my trailer hitch, there WERE a bunch of them, lights on my trailer were acting weird....I took those "scotch locks" off, cut those wires installed some plug in sockets I had left over from my chemical plant days doing all of the wiring on all of the equipment in that plant...Water tight and my trailer lights work great!!!!
Personally I hate the wig wag modules, besides being technically illegal in some/many states (never have heard of a ticket issued for one though) they are also confusing to an already sleeping driver who cannot decide it you are turning right, left, right, left, or can't make up your mind, for the most important first few seconds. Get yourself the 'Back Off' brand 'XP' model, this meets all state and federal regulations precisely and is very obviously the brake lights flashing.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Personally I hate the wig wag modules, besides being technically illegal in some/many states (never have heard of a ticket issued for one though) they are also confusing to an already sleeping driver who cannot decide it you are turning right, left, right, left, or can't make up your mind, for the most important first few seconds. Get yourself the 'Back Off' brand 'XP' model, this meets all state and federal regulations precisely and is very obviously the brake lights flashing.
Well..that is your opinion and you are welcome to it. Had this on my 96' since I bought the Wing and never had a issue with LEO's. If you can't tell what's happening in the 3 seconds that it flashes..then maybe you shouldn't be driving...my opinion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.