Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone happen to recognize what make this rack is? I am trying to find an exact match to replace it due to rust. I am finding several racks on line but am afraid the holes will not line up as the pattern appears different.

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
imported post

Maybe measure distance from hole to hole and check against what the seller has. I have the same type but don't know the brand

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That's the same one Dusty Boots has.
Pop him a PM.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I also have that rack.
P.O. was a Markland & Kuryakynfanatic,
maybe search there/that? :?

PICTURE are the 2 that look alike but are not the same. The forward mount is different.
Even tho the one bar is bent inward at the rear, the mount spacing should be the same. Manufactures don't change mount positions if it's just a minor design update.

One website stated the mount was 8.5 inches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

If you are only replacing because of rust, then why not get it powder coated the same color or matching color or just rechrome it. It will be cheaper than replacement

·
751 Posts
imported post

Before you get rid of that rack get some clr (Calcium Lime Rust )& Then get some of the red scotch brite & I think your rack will be fine I think that rust is just surfice rust & by doing it this way youll be saving some money & no turning of any bolts ! you can getsome CLR at walmart or grocery store usually with the cleaning supplys & Red scotch brite ace hardware or bodyshop supply house !

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
That's the same one Dusty Boots has.
Pop him a PM.
Close, Rudy ..... but not quite.

Mine is a Kuryakyn 7150

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
imported post

The PO of my scoot seems to have bought a ton of the add ons from chromeworld.com. If you haven't found what it is yet check Chrome World Item #2075 - looks like it could be the same one from the pix in their catalog but doesn't say who makes it.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Is it chrome or polished stainless? My rack is stainless and it looked terrible when I bought the bike. Rust everywhere. A scotchbrite pad and my polishing kit made it look new again.

Attachments

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

Your best bet is to have it powdercoated or re-chromed, I am going through the same thing right now. I tried a bunch of different ones at Americade last year and none where exactly the same.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,206 Posts
imported post

That is the same rack that is on my bike. The PO was a Kuryaken fanatic so I have to assume that is what it is. Everything else on the bike has Kury..... stamped into it.

Attachments

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
That is the same rack that is on my bike. The PO was a Kuryaken fanatic so I have to assume that is what it is. Everything else on the bike has Kury..... stamped into it.
The front of yours (the mounts in particular) looks totally different than the OP's.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised you don't have star washers under the legs of that rack Rudy.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks guys. Well the rust is not a surface rust issue. Bottom line is I messed up. I purchased one of Rudy's kits to strengthen my lid. When I was removing the rack, one of the screws was heavily rusted and broke off in the hole. I tried to grab it with vice grips, but it broke again. I then tried to drill it and use an extractor, but the extractor broke off in the hole. I then tried to drill a new hole so I could just tap new threads. I went a little crazy with the drill and now I think I am going to have to buy a new rack.

The one on Ebay looks like it, so I may just try to get it.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Anti-seize is your friend. Good luck with the new rack. Jay

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

The Fonz wrote:
Thanks guys. Well the rust is not a surface rust issue. Bottom line is I messed up. I purchased one of Rudy's kits to strengthen my lid. When I was removing the rack, one of the screws was heavily rusted and broke off in the hole. I tried to grab it with vice grips, but it broke again. I then tried to drill it and use an extractor, but the extractor broke off in the hole. I then tried to drill a new hole so I could just tap new threads. I went a little crazy with the drill and now I think I am going to have to buy a new rack.

The one on Ebay looks like it, so I may just try to get it.
Thanks, Ed
Best hurry FONZ. . . I was looking/consideringthat one twoo.

That $18 shipping's a half killer!!! :whip:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Big Port Jimmy 6 wrote:
Anti-seize is your friend. Good luck with the new rack. Jay
+ 1 :cooler: A little bit of copper ant-seize works great on a lot of bolts where water intrusion, or different mating metals (spark plugs)are encountered, to prevent galling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.