Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was pulling my mate's 1500 apart today so that I can remove the rear wheel......damn tyre is losing air around the valve stem - and now around the rim too.

Anyway. That's not the reason I'm posting this.

While I was there, I noticed that the concetina'd (sp) bootthat covers the rear shock (rhs of bike) has basically disintegrated into individual rings....:D. So, they are not a lot of use then.

Can these boots be obtained seperately? Or is it a new shock because of the perished boot?
I would imagine that it's not good practice to leave it the way it is. If corrosion starts on the shock itself, it'll be a wallet pincher to replace.

Any tips, hints, or tricks while I have the back all torn assunder?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

you can buy the boot from the dealer but they aren't cheap. there is a post in general/faq about an alternate, think it's a monroe shock part

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

I used some plastic, couple of tie wraps around the shock top and bottom and some RTV silicon for the lap. It's not been on long so I don't how it will last but if it makes it to the next tire change I'm calling it a success.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Here is the problem.
The shock itself is in good working order, no leaks......just that boot.
If left like that, I'm sure road grit will soon compromise the seal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

The stock part # is 52611-MN5-003.

SA1997 Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit will fit, you need to cut about 3 inches off the top then zip tie in place.

I replaced mine with the stock boot.

If you look at Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, Bobbitt's, Honda Direct Line and Service Honda, you will find the cheapest price at Service Honda at 34.44.

Service Honda will have the lowest price for the stock boot at 34.44.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
imported post

I went to one of those drive through shock and strut shops and they sized one up for me. It was off a vehichle they had just replaced a strut on, it was intact, fitted the bike to a tee and the price was free.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
I went to one of those drive through shock and strut shops and they sized one up for me. It was off a vehichle they had just replaced a strut on, it was intact, fitted the bike to a tee and the price was free.
So what kind (year/make/model) of vehicle was it off of ? That would be helpful....!!

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Just checked that part number on DavidSilverSpares.
Special order, but available.
Thanks guys.

52611MN5003
BOOT,RR.CUSHION ( *D

This part will be special ordered in for you from Honda.

Delivery time should be between 5 - 7 working days depending on stock availability from Honda.

*if delays are anticipated in sourcing this part we will contact you as soon as we can

Part No
52611MN5003
Price
£18.85
Approx
€ 20.56 | $ 30.20
¥ 2733.57

Quantity

Stock
Special ordered upon request

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Something of interest that some may not know. The rear air shock boot is only "listed separately" for the 1988 through 1993 year Gold Wing's. However, the same boot fits all Gold Wing's from 1988 through 2000.

Some Honda parts department folks do not know this and will tell you it is not available for your 1994 through 2000 Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

they can be got seperate, last one i bought cost 16 quid, you can get away with putting a fork gaiter instead of oem gaiter or go to you local auto store and see if they have something similar to it, if your not bothered about cost go with oem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.