Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, got one thats kicking my tail here. I have a suspension noise on my 88 1500, it happens when the back of the bike moves up and down, like hitting a bump, or just sitting on it and bouncing.

There is a honking noise (think, a slightly muffled goose) that happens when the rear of the bike bounces. At first I thought my seat pan was rubbing something, but it happens without the seat even being on. It sounds like its coming from the air shock on the rear. I tried searching but had no luck...

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

While it may be the shock its self i would spray WD40 all around the shock rubbers and bushings to see will it stop also have a look at the right side of the tyre and see if there is a scoring mark on it

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

pogo. did you ever change a rear tire using the "flip up all 3 boxes" ploy?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I took the entire subframe off when i changed the tire, as I was servicing the rear end and had almost the whole bike torn down for some R&R back in the winter 09/10

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
pogo. did you ever change a rear tire using the "flip up all 3 boxes" ploy?
I am getting a similar sound to what pogo has described with my wing. I know this is an old thread, but I searched and could not find anything, so I figured I would add to this one.

I did do the flip up all three boxes method about 2 months ago, just wondering why that it significant?

I have identified my issue as being the air shock. I sprayed down the bushings, rubbers, and under the rubbers.

Any idea how to remedy the issue without having to replace the entire shock? The shock is still working perfectly, just honking like a goose.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Fonz - I had a hell of a rear suspension noise but as I recall it was more of a banging. It was very hard to locate the noise but it turned out to be due to the busted rear fender joint from when I used the "flip-up" tire change method (since abandoned). As I recall, a box on the right hand side was banging on the fender. I "welded" up all the busted parts with ABS shavings and ABS glue and stabilized things. The noise went away. You might want to check that rear fender joint.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Thanks Terry,

I am 100% sure the noise is coming from the air shock. It sounds exactly like what pogo described. Last weekend, I took my saddle bags off to do some investigating. It sounded like it was coming from the inside of the air shock.

A while back, I installed a Monroe shock boot over the lower section of the shock as the original boot had disintegrated. I took the Monroe boot off and sprayed PB Blaster all over along the inside of the piston under the boot. The noise went away, but it is now starting to come back. It seems as if it is coming from between the piston and outer cylinder of the shock.

I suspect the fix will be to replace the shock, but I wanted to see if there is anything else I should attempt first.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Ed
Did you drain and refill the oil in the shock? If it has leaked out from dirt in the seal, you may have a near dry shock which will produce noise.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

The Fonz wrote:
I have not done that. How do you do this and what type of oil do you use?
Steps:

1) Remove shock from bike

2) Remove rubber boot from shock

3) Remove the Circlip from the lower end of the shock, being careful not to damage the exposed chrome rod

4) Wrap a rag around the exposed polished chrome rod of the shock

5) Point the shock into a 5-gallon bucket, laying on it's side

6) Using an air compressor set to ~120psi, and a rubber-tip blow gun, inject air into the air-inlet on the shock

7) The Seal will blow out the bottom of the shock, typically with a load Bang, and a spray of oil... There will be very little kickback. If the seal does not pop out, then you can insert a wood screw into the explosed seal, then pry upwards on it to pull the seal out.

8) With the seal removed, pour any remaining oil out of the shock.

9) Set the shock vertically in a vice, open end upwards

10) Add 2oz of ATF fluid (any type) into the shock

11) Insert a new shock seal

12) Insert the circlip

Here's pretty much the same instructions from Progressive

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/shocks_shockSprings/3068-100.pdf

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

The seal number is 91257-KE8-003. The part is listed for 88-93 models, 94 up does not show. It is the same for all years.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

I wonder what comes up when you search for honking shock, lol

I hope the oil fixes the honking. Sorry you have a honker but I have to laugh.

Try calling the dealer and tell they your bike is honking and see what happens, lol

Only at goldwingfacts.com can a honking goldwing be diagnosed properly. We have some expert honkers around here.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The Honkers are starting to fly South now.

:action:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

"I took the Monroe boot off and sprayed PB Blaster all over along the inside of the piston under the boot. The noise went away, but it is now starting to come back"

That sounds like just a dry seal.

If nothing is wrong with the shock you do not need to take it apart! Nothing to replace! Does it hold air, are there any signs of fluid leak?

Take it off, turn upside down, and pump it some. The old fluid will come out the air hose hole. Pump it till no more fluid comes out.
Then using a syringe or turkey baster with a tube on it refill the shock with proper amount of fluid. That works well to change fluid if you want to.

I did my 1100 air shocks like that, and pretty sure the 88 1500 last year also.

Filling can be a bit of a pain, just take it slow. I put the shocks back on the wing and would press down on the wing to push out air, then let off to fill. Pumping the shock this way helped with filling.

If you sprayed around the shock seal and it stopped the honking for a bit sounds like just a dry seal on the outer side, use something better than PB blaster and do it again.
A real oil, light oil, or maybe even armoral or a silicon spray should work better.
PB Blaster, WD40, etc.. is not a real oil!

Since the shock uses tranny fluid anyway probably coat the shock shaft well with tranny fluid and bounce it up and down. Repeat till the honking stops then a few more times.

Or just leave as is. When a pretty gal walks by bounce up and down and honk at her LOL

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Thanks,

You guys are a crack up, I love this forum!

The shock is holding air and does not seem to be leaking. I will try Chromo's suggestion this weekend. My wife and I will be traveling the following week, so I will report back when we return.

Honk, honk. I mean thanks for the help,
Ed

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Which of my suggestions is the question now.

Oiling the seal a bit, or bouncing up and down to honk at the pretty gals walking by LOL

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
I have not done that. How do you do this and what type of oil do you use?
Steps:

10) Add 2oz of ATF fluid (any type) into the shock
??

I'm seeing the OEM air shock oil fill as over 4.7 oz (140cc) for the 1500's airshock (ATF or Honda SS7) -- has there been some revision?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I took it apart this morning and changed the oil in the shock as described by Chromo. I also turned the shock upside down and coated the outer seal with ATF. I put it all back together and no more noise. There was oil in the shock, but I suspect it was the original oil.

I used 140cc s of ATF as pointed out by Satan.

Devon and I are headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Friday (we canceled New Orleans), so I will report if the noise returns when we get back.

Thanks for all the help,
Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.