Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have a 1990 GL1500 bought just over a year ago originally to see if i can live it, i can.

She has 104,000 miles on the clock and has not been looked after so my decision was get a newer one or bring the old girl back to life.
I am gonna breath new life into her with a full rebuild.

She has been messed about with over the years

How she was

And now

Don't know what colour she was originally?

Last year the sidelightheadlight switch burn't out and i found a 30amp fuse in the circuit
so i am a bit worried about the wiring.

So i am looking for tips on what to look out for especially on the suspension she handles like a dog front end wobble etc.

Going for a last hurrah next week up to Scotland then the strip down begins.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Nice.

Head bearings for sure to look at, is there fork oil in the tubes? Badly cupped tire will give it a wobble.

Hlight is protected by 15A fuse running lights by another. Do as much of the wiring checks and repair prior to tearing it down, you do not want to be messing with that going back together when it should be on the road.:)

A visual inspection for prior wiring mistakes or problem areas along with a good DMM for measuring Amperage draw in series at fuse block will give a good heads up for trouble areas.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Certainly looking a lot better in the second picture. Good job. The usual culprits for front end wobble are tyres or steering bearings. There are quite a few threads on here you can search to get ideas of how to test for the faults and fix.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A week after i got the bike the sidelight switch melted the connector at the end of the wire was damaged also and a pig to get at

Replaced switch and a 15 amp fuse instead of the 30 amp that was in turned lights on and blew the fuse.
Turned out the corner lights in the bottom of the fairing had been wired in to sidelight but they hadn't used connectors just wound wires round each other and taped up.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removed a lot of excess wiring

Leak I didn't know about

And this which I did know about having come home from Scotland on the back of a trailer.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The left hub is from my ST1100 that end cup looks the same as the Wing if it is I just need a shaft? :praying:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...am looking for tips on what to look out for especially on the suspension she handles like a dog front end wobble etc...
> Helpful stuff:
-Add a fork brace
-Proper tire pressure (41 psi for Dunlop E3's)
-Progressive Suspension for the rear

·
Registered
113 Posts
Turned out the corner lights in the bottom of the fairing had been wired in to sidelight but they hadn't used connectors just wound wires round each other and taped up.
I aquired an '87 aspencade, and I went through it end-to-end.. you know the blue crimp on wire connectors? I removed over 30 of them. (32 I think).

Small wonder the stator hadn't burned out.

Goldwing wiring harnesses are built to tight specs as it is, stupid wiring tricks don't help any.

Good work, and good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Ahh, yer a brave lad!!! I would jump in with both feet, when I was young!!!! Nice watching/reading as you go along. Best of luck as you move ahead!!! jimsjnx

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
If you need connectors for your wiring project a good source for them is http://vintageconnections.com/. They handle all of the old type of motorcycle connectors that are hard to find through standard outlets. They specialize in OEM Japanese wiring and supplies.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers all after much reading progressive springs front and back plus a fork brace and head bearings.
The original wiring harness looks ok its all the added wiring that is rubbish so I am just ripping it all off. :)
The CB is going because I don't use it and I can use that space for switch's and maybe a power point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.