Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello everyone...

yes I back again to work on this dame cruise control I have on my gl1500 1988 model.

I have done the clutch and the cruise control value checks...ok on both

power to the unit is also ok...

now the next part refers to as noted below

Throttle, Front and rear brake switches
The next bit needs a little explanation so you are aware of whats going on. The throttle, Front and rear brake switches are wired in series this means we can test all of them at once, these switches are the safety circuit which holds in relay 2 (the cruise set relay) which applies the live feed to the vacuum solenoids.

I have looked on my manual and have not being able to find any notes on where RELAY 2 is. can anyone help.

also the position relay, is a 10a-12v unit, i did the same test, asper the crusies control relayand have notice that when connected to 12v and then tested, there was noresistant noted on my meter

so what does this relay do...

i was wondering that the postion relay has something to do with the 4/5 gear switch

and its not working, that could explain why my cruise control is also not working.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

bye

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks redeye1620
i have this information, and have proform the test, but its the note regards the relay 2 im having problems with

thanks

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Ah -- after I posted that long wind-bag of a post too... (Your other thread is http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/122513.html ); have a look there as well...

Tug, I'm not sure what texts you're working with but the "Relay 2" bit is a bit confusing (as the bike has its relays numbered already) This text appears to be Cruise-Control-Specific and addressing the "Relay 2" in reference to the text's own diagram.

As it's described here in context, this would be the 'Cruise Valve Relay' (which I did mention briefly in my other windbag of a post for this same topic)...

The Cruise Valve Relay itself is located inside of the left inner fairing directly inboard of cold air vent there on the left inner fairing.

The Cruise Valve Relay is provided with 12V through the 3-closed switches (ft.brake, rr.brake, & throttle stop) that are described in http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/122513.html.

The Ground for the coil of the Cruise Valve Relay comes directly from the Cruise Control Unit itself. The Cruise Control Unit will 'open' this ground circuit to drop the cruise valves for many conditions.

Before suspecting the Cruise Valve Relay as defective, you'll wanna ensure that the coil has both the switch-controlled 12V and the Cruise Control Unit controlled ground.

- 12V positive to the Cruise Valve Realy will come from the Rear Brake cruise cancel switch on a Brown (red stripe) wire... from that other posting, this will have 12V whenever the "CRUISE ON" indicator is illuminated and all 3 of those switches are properly closed

- Ground for the Cuise Valve Relay is on its Green (black stripe) wire which should be the same color wire back at the Cruise Control Unit itself. (CAUTION: Do NOT ground this wire while the Cruise Control Unit is still connected to the circuit) This switched-ground wire is the Cruise Control Unit's "master off" control for the vacuum valve assembly and forms a part of the safety-off design. When this ground is removed the vacuum fromt he valves will be vented and the cruise actuator will cease to pull on the throttle cable. Nothing in this circuit would have bearing on the cruise NOT illuminating the "CRUISE SET" lamp... failure here would result in the "CRUISE SET" indicator illuminating, but the bike would not be controlling speed (no vaccum function).

If you would like to test this, you could provide a ground to this side of the coil (Green with black stripe wire) without leaving this connected to the Cruise Control Unit (disconnect the Cruise Valve Relay; jump all conections across to the relay except for the ground, adding your own ground). Connect a vacuum gauge to the actuator port at the Cruise Valve assembly leaving the actuator's vacuum line disconnected (safety item). Work a test ride -- in 4th or 5th gear you should be able to set
without the bike taking control (no actuator), but the vacuum gague connected at the actuator port should show vacuum as you slow your speed by releasing throttle (only).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.