Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got out for the first time this year and I stopped for gas before going home and noticed after I got it that my gas gauge and heat gauge wee not working. And on the way home the OD light was also not working. After I got home I noticed the the lower cowling light wer not working also. I'm thinking it maybe a relay but did not have time to loo at it (had to go to dinner with some friends). Ijust wondering wer to start looking. I hate electical problems.

Thanks

Hickey

·
Administrator
28,079 Posts
It helps tremendously to know what you are working on.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
i would start with the fuses

·
Administrator
28,079 Posts
The #3 tail/main relay is the usual culprit with this problem. May not be the relay itself but the connector it plugs into.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave0430,

Were may that #3 relay be ? With all the other relays behind the left saddle bag?

Hickey

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the nexted couple of days are not looking good to work on it (small shed 8 x 8). I have to work on it outside. Will let everyone know what I find out. Anyother suggestion will be looked at also.

Thanks
Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Well, I put a new fuse in my 1500, and it blew soon after I drove it today. The last time it happened I remember it was the front fog lights that were causing the problem. My fault though. I had been saving old bulbls by bridging the gap between the 2 connectors on the bulb with solder. For the second time now the solder started to melt, and run against ground on the holder. I`m just buying new bulbs from now on when one burns out.
Can a bad relay burn out a fuse?

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know under the old website there was a list of Auto Parts replacement parts. There was one for relays but I can't remember what it was.

Does someone remember what it was?

Thanks

Hickey

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
The relays are located behind the left saddle bag and side cover...i would switch it out with your air compressor one to test and see if that is the issue. Relay #3 is the likely culprit....relay # at autozone is for a pilot relay PL-RY1...should be about 9 bucks or so and you may have to order it in....

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, got around to seeing what the problem was. I checked all the fuse with my test light and all were working. So I moved to the relays and the same thing All working. I sat back and did a little thinking and all I could think was a fuse. So I desided to pull all the fuses out and replace them.
I started with the one that said instrument and truck lights (it checked out OK with a test light) Pulled it out and one blade stayed in. Replace it and Alls well now. I guess by pushing the test light point on the fuse it made contacted. It was not blown but broken were the small wire connects to the blade.

Thanks All for the help.

Hickey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.