Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How are the wires attached to the relay box? Are there spade connectors or are the wires molded into the box? I am getting connest - disconnect when wiggling a relay.

·
Premium Member
12,705 Posts
imported post

I think that normally the spade end is crimped to the wire and then the end is pushed into the plastic base and is held there by a small tang/tab to keep it from pushing back out when you install the relay . They make special tools to reach in from the backside and release the spade connector . I have not come across this on my 1500 so I am not positive this is the way its done . With that type system you can remove the connector from the relay/fuse base and crimp the edges back down so they fit tight on the relay pins . Then push it back into the base. You might with a small pick reach in from the relay side and work the connector edges back to tighten them . As the folks begin to wake up and check in you should have more response . I hope this is a help to you . There are lots of fine folks here to share there knowledge .

:action:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum ginger68
As Mike said, the connectors are crimped on the wires and have tangs that hold the connector in the back side of the relay box.
Have you tried spraying the connectors with electrical contact cleaner yet? Start with that, spray some in there, push in and pull out the relay a bunch, spraying the ecc lots as you do it to clean the connections tabs. The ecc is great for cleaning all your connectors and the switches on the bike too. The contacts corrode and need cleaning each year.
Hope this helps you out. Let us know how you make out with your problem with a reply to this post and any other postings you make to close the posts you make. Ask if it doesn't help too. This will help others later too as they use the forum search bar to find answers to questions they have. As we learn, we help others along the way.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you read my post already, I made some typing corrections, excuse my big fingers on this small touch pad on my phone, not near a computer right now.
The electrial contact cleaner can be gotten at any good hardware store or autoparts or radio shack has some called tv tuner cleaner lube, great ffor the switches.
God Bless

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. I took a small screw driver and pinched terminals in box tighter. All seems good for now. I will remember what was said regarding wire removal if I have need in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.