Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the reassembly after lubricating the drive shaft and final drive unit. Something looks a bit odd in the area where the driven flange side of the rear wheel hub disappears behind the dust guard on the final drive unit. About one inch of the wheel hub is visible (uncovered by the dust guard). That seems like too much. I didn't take note of that area prior to disassembly, but it doesn’t look quite right now that it is back together.

Everything lines up ok on the disk side of the wheel. The axel goes through the swing arm, washer, caliper bracket, spacer and then into the wheel, in that order.

Here is what I am trying to describe. Can anyone tell me if this looks like your bike?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
My first guess would be that the drive splines aren't lined up correctly. Does the wheel spin freely? Put the trans in gear and see if it spins.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
drive side

my 1999 drive side sets exactly the same, including your measured demensions.:)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, the drive splines are meshed, proven out by attempting to spin while in gear. I was concerned that the driven flange was not fully inserted into the final drive. You know - kind of just hanging but not fully engaged.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
busdriver, not sure what you mean by "tube inside". If you are refering to something inside the final drive unit, I didn't disassemble anything except to pull the drive shaft to lube splines.

I did try to remount the rear wheel a second time - with the same result. On the disc side of the wheel, the cross-hole in the axel is inside the swing arm (pinch bolt area). I would have thought the cross-hole would have been visible after assembly. What does yours look like?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
busdriver, not sure what you mean by "tube inside"...
He's referring to Item#21 as follows... which seems to be displayed Backwards, as I recall the Narrow End of the tube facing the drive unit... it only installs one way (the right way), due to the way it's shaped.

Regardless, your photo looks identical to that of my bike, so I don't think that you have a problem.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Wideload, when I pulled my rear wheel last spring I thought the same thing. As I remember, it bolted all up fine but it just didn't look right. I took it apart again and got the same results. I put 9000 miles on it like that with no problems. I'm a novice with the 1500 but I'd say go for it! :)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
As long as the "collar" and "spacer" on the rotor side are in place you should have no problems.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's referring to Item#21 as follows... which seems to be displayed Backwards, as I recall the Narrow End of the tube facing the drive unit... it only installs one way (the right way), due to the way it's shaped.
Thanks for pointing that out Alex. I can visualize how it works now. When assembled, the #21 tube is in compression against the wheel on the right side, so that dictates how deep the driven flange splines slide into the final drive unit.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Exactly, easy to put in backwards and then not get wheel seated. When in doubt remove and remount again to be sure. I had this same issue once and on the second try it seated all the way. Also important to properly torque the axle nut, I believe its's 80 ft/lbs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
As long as the splines are engaging and the brake rotor still sits in the center of the brake bracket slot there isn't really much that could be wrong. If the wheel wasn't fully engaged you couldn't get all the parts inside the swing arm. Bolt it up and ride it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
busdriver, not sure what you mean by "tube inside". If you are refering to something inside the final drive unit, I didn't disassemble anything except to pull the drive shaft to lube splines.

I did try to remount the rear wheel a second time - with the same result. On the disc side of the wheel, the cross-hole in the axel is inside the swing arm (pinch bolt area).

I would have thought the cross-hole would have been visible after assembly. What does yours look like?
the cross-hole ????

Is this the hole in the end of the axle that you put the screwdriver in to hold the axle and tighten the axle nut with?

The hole should be fully outside the swingarm when tight, not inside.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I just did the reassembly after lubricating the drive shaft and final drive unit. Something looks a bit odd in the area where the driven flange side of the rear wheel hub disappears behind the dust guard on the final drive unit. About one inch of the wheel hub is visible (uncovered by the dust guard). That seems like too much. I didn't take note of that area prior to disassembly, but it doesn’t look quite right now that it is back together.

Everything lines up ok on the disk side of the wheel. The axel goes through the swing arm, washer, caliper bracket, spacer and then into the wheel, in that order.

Here is what I am trying to describe. Can anyone tell me if this looks like your bike?
You are showing 2 5/16" wheel to flange on the final drive. I have 2".
Pull your wheel apart again and turn the collar around.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, its a mixed bag regarding opinions about the correct reassembly.

I made a comment earlier about the cross hole in the axle - I misinterpteted this based on a picture I took before I put the wheel back on, so no problem there. I didn't remove the "spacer" tube in the final drive, it remains in the original orientation, so I think I am clear on that one. The caliper and bracket are back on with new pads, the axel is torqued to 80# and the wheel spins ok. I have a few more things to do on the bike, but I plan to push it around a bit before riding it under power. Thanks for your input guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.