Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all

I have a 1988 GL1500, which is a bit sad and sorry for itself. The alternator died and I removed it and took it to a local repairer who has since disappeared off the face of the earth, and taken it with him!

There is also a fault with third gear where it jumps out of gear at the merest whiff of throttle, to re-engage with a thump and corresponding kick up the drive shaft, then repeat the cycle.

I was going to repair it myself, but the bike has been off the road for approaching two years now, and I haven't got round to it, so realistically I never will.

I imagine it will cost an arm and a leg for an experienced mechanic / dealer to complete the works so I am in a quandry.

Do I:

1) buy a new alternator and ride around third gear?
2) bite the bullet and cough up to get both issues fixed?
3) scrap the bike and flog the bits on ebay?

Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer / workshop / mechanic for the repairs. Anywhere in the UK, but preferably close to or around yorkshire?

Has anyone any experience of the costs involved with this kind of works?

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Howdy Ian,

That's really kind of an individual thing.

I know guys that would give their Left whatever to have a wing, Even if just to work on. And I myself have been in that position a couple times in my life.

Then others just don't care as much.

If you have another bike to ride the pressure to fix this one is not there.

You need an Alternator and they can be found quite frequently on E-Bay and other places.

The 3rd gear is going to mean removing the engine and splitting the cases to repair and while your there you might as well go through everything.

3rd gear out you can live with better than 1st or 5th. Those are a must.

Good Luck in your decision.

L8tr

Mohawk

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hey Ian. If you break it, let me know. I need a couple of easily shipped parts over here.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Hey Ian,
Just out of curiosity how many miles are on the bike?
Now to the question at hand. If you need a bike of this type,Long distance cruiser, you will probably not be able to get one cheaper than you can fix yours. Since you don't seem to have missed it terribly in the last 2 years maybe you no longer need a bike like this? I think the best option might be to replace the alternator (seems there are sometimes OEM alternators available from people who upgrade to the Compufire Alts) get it running again and either decide to fix and keep after you ride it again or offer it as a reliable bike needing work. If you break it on ebay remember that is really a undertaking ( dismantling- boxing -shipping -payments)and you are always left with something. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Greg

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
imported post

I just almost cry when I hear of someone breaking up a fixable goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I think your 4th options would be to replace the alternator and sell the bike to a guy that would like a mechanical challenge.

Working on a GW is very challenging even for an experienced mechanic. Time and cost will eat you alive. It would probably be easier and cheaper to replace the engine vs repair, but that would still could be costly.

If you are not a DIY'er, get rid of it.

Also, 1500s may tend to jump out of gear at times if the shifts are performedlightly,especially in the higher gears. Make sureshifts are performed withpositive forceto ensure positive shift engagement.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll attempt some answers:

Firstly a local dealer have advised me that I'm looking at around £2500 for the rebuild, including all new belts, seals gaskets etc. with a budget c.£500 for replacing gearbox internals (that is with a new alternator).

Realistically this is about all the bike is worth, so at that level it's not financially viable.

I do have another bike which is my main bike. The wing was purchased for continental touring with the wife on the pillion. It never made it. It died before it got the chance.

The thing is, I do like it, and it will get used if it gets back on the road.

The bike has an indicated 12000 miles on the clock. It burnt no oil, and I have no reason to disbelieve this. It is an ex california bike, imported about six years ago. When I bought it the seller had "doctored" the throttle linkages so it didn't open wide and the cruise control didn't work. This had the effect of detuning the bike, and masked the gearbox issue.

I ran it for a couple of months to see if I liked it, and decided that yes, I did.

At this point I gave it a full service. New brakes, all fluids, tyres etc and reset all the throttle linkages, reinstating the cruise control in the process. The first ride out after this was when the gearbox problem reared it's head. I decided I'd ride around it for a while, but on the next proper trip out, the alternator died. I removed the necessary bodywork and the alternator, and sent it off for repair. The bike has sat there ever since. There's less than fifty miles on the new tyres!!!!

It's not a case of not being a DIY'er, it's a case of not having the time. Or the special tools to re-assemble it again.

Cheers chaps,

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Ian,
I have sent you a PM.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Ianb

Do a search on ebay for m and d goldwings (could be mdgoldwings)

He brakes wings and ive used him a few times for bits i need.

Last time i spoke to he he was selling 1500 engins for 400 notes

Daz

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 engine comp but no alt, i would buy the bike if you want to sell it would take £150 for the engine

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Hello Chaps

I just thought I'd give you all an update. Things are looking up! Thanks to Ron, I am now the proud owner of another complete engine for the bike, and the man who disappeared with the alternator has re-appeared, and although it is not fixed, he does still have it, so I can get it back.

From what he said, it is the regulator that has failed - the windings and rectifier are all ok, so if he cannot get the parts to repair it (he's going to try again) I am going to get it back, break out the field connections and build an external regulator for it.

Project "rebuild the wing" is a go-er, and hopefully it should be on the road by early August.

Thank you one and all, and sorry to those who wanted bits off it ;)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I have a good alternator, let me know if you need one.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

And battery

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Hello All

I just thought it would be polite to post an update. I managed to get a spare afternoon yesterday, so decided to have a go at getting the wing going again. In preparation, I bought a new battery on saturday, thinking that the old one is going to be knackered (it has been on the bike, discharged, since it was mothballed in 2006).

I realised that I had sent the wiring loom that connects the regulator supply with the old alternator to the re-winders. I did a bit of testing with a mutlimeter revealed the most likely of the two connectors to use (two pin plug on alternator, single cable - maybe this alternator is off a newer bike?). I fitted a single crimp to a new wire and connected this to the alternator before fitting the alternator and then the new battery.

Now, bear in mind that this bike was left standing with a full tank of fuel in september 2006, and hasn't been touched since then. I envisaged the fuel going off, and that I would have to empty the tank and refill with fresh fuel, strip and clean the carbs etc., but I decided to give it a try as the fuel smelt fresh enough.

Ten seconds on the starter and she fired up. Very little smoke, and quickly settled to a smooth idle.

To minimise the risk of damaging the new alternator, I checked the voltages without the regulator lead connected. Battery voltage present at the feed to the regulator and alternator output stud of 11.9v. I connected the regulator supply thought a temporary 1A fuse (to try and minimise the damage in case I had chosen the wrong terminal). Success! with minimal load (headlamp fuse removed) a steady 14.0v, dropping to 13.8v when the headlamp and all ancillaries were on.

Back on with the body work and time for a test run.

Yes, the problem with third gear is still there, but I can ride round that easily enough, and it will be rectified when the new engine gets fitted, but for the moment, the only thing I think need doing before M.O.T. time is the brakes need bleeding.

The answer is definately that the bike is not going to be broken for parts. The old wing lives again!!!

Thanks to all who helped, offered encouragement or supplied parts.

Ian

G

·
imported post

Well i for one am glad you are goin to get it going again.
The best of luck to you.
Enjoy the wing, i sure enjoy mine.
HAVE FUN
TOMMY

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.