Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 98 SE with reverse issues. On initial check when the key is turned on the "R" light works. Start the engine and pull handle to the Reverse position the "N" light goes out but there is no "R" light or reverse. If I lower the handle slightly until the "N" light comes on the starter will activate and achieve reverse movement. Ive pulled the micro switch on the reverse handle and cleaned it with no results. With that micro switch removed but still plugged in the reverse works which is a safety hazard because it works regardless of the position of the side stand or anything else. My manual refers me to the C-42 connector but I have no idea where that is located, under the trunk possibly, connected to the Reverse Control Unit. I suspect there is a problem with that unit but I really don't want to by one to see if it works. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
The reverse control unit is under the trunk and C42 is the connector to it. It sounds like there is some problem with the reverse switch by the handle. Have you tested the switch with an ohmmeter to see if it works properly?
Brn/Wht to Blk/Wht has continuity when in forward.
Brn/Wht to Wht/Blu has continuity when in reverse

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a switch form another wing in the shop and swapped it out. Had the same affect.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
There is a speed limiter fuse (65a) located under rear of seat. If it is blown that would cause the reverse light to not come on. It provides a ground on pin 12 (yellow wire) of the C42 connector.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that the one that looks like the main fuse on the side of the battery box? If so then I checked that also and it is good.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yes it would be similiar to the main fuse. Was the one you checked under the seat at the back?
Ok, I'm officially out of ideas. You might PM satan and ask him to chime in on this thread. He is really good at these kind of troubles with reverse.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is the one, its mounted to the cross frame under the seat. There is a relay mounted to that bracket as well that is active when the lever is pulled to the reverse position. Thanks for your help anyway, I will pm Satan.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...With that micro switch removed but still plugged in the reverse works which is a safety hazard because it works regardless of the position of the side stand or anything else...
Tried adjusting the cables, per the manual?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
I'm gonna kinda start from the top, to assure that I'm reading things correctly and also to kinda confirm my assumptions.

"General stuff":
- Key on gets you a good bulb-check on the "R" indicator.
- the Oil light stays on until you start, the shuts off (assumed)
- the "N" indicator is behaving well, on only in neutral
- Sidestand switch in good working order (kinda assumed) - indicator lights when stand is down

"Reverse stuff":
- As you move the lever into reverse, the "N" lamp goes out
- With the lever fully "upward" in reverse, the "R" lamp does not light
- There's mention of other symptoms, but without the "R" lamp, the reverse system is non-operational.

"Hack stuff":
- leaving the reverse switch loose (not mounted) allowed "reverse worked" no mention if the "R" lamp lighted...
-?- Did the "R" lamp illuminate properly here, or were you running the starter with the reverse gears engaged (no "R" lamp - completely different operational mode)

Here I'd begin with a few items listed above, and continue on...
  1. Confirm that the Oil Lamp is on the FULL time that the engine is off, and that it shuts off within a few seconds of startup (and again comes on when the engine is stopped)
  2. Confirm proper operation of th Side Stand Switch (The Green wire with White stripe at the Side Stand MUST show a good ground with the stand in the UP position)
  3. Measure resistance to ground from BOTH sides of that 65A dogbone under the seat (easy to measure, but not often the trouble)
  4. Adjust the reverse cables to spec
  5. Measure the Reverse lever switch in its installed position for BOTH lever positions (after cable adjustment) {Brown wire with White stripe should have +12 with the key on, the Black with White stripe should have +12 ONLY in normal operation, and the White wire with a Blue stripe should have +12 with the lever in reverse} Mechanical linkage cables should be adjusted beforehand to assure full lever travel.
  6. Measure for ground at the Reverse Switch ( a "stud-like" connector above and to the right of the oil DipStick) - Should be Ground only when NOT in reverse.... Shouldn't relate to lighting the "R" indicator, but the running 'hack' above has me a bit worried about the starter control here...
Again, for me, I would focus on getting the "R" indicator to light when the engine is running and the reverse lever is pulled outward-then-up into the "reverse" position. Once the "R" illuminates, at least you'll know that you'll be trying to run reverse...

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
When I had what seems to be the exact same issues, it was that reverse control unit that is mounted under the front left of the trunk. You can get to it by dropping just the lower trunk cover. It is a rectangular silver colored metal box with wires coming out. When looking at the connector (which mounts through a metal tab on the frame), it looked fine. However it had began to slightly work itself loose and had intermittant contact. After firmly reconnecting it, my reverse worked normally again.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna kinda start from the top, to assure that I'm reading things correctly and also to kinda confirm my assumptions.

"General stuff":
- Key on gets you a good bulb-check on the "R" indicator.
- the Oil light stays on until you start, the shuts off (assumed)
- the "N" indicator is behaving well, on only in neutral
- Sidestand switch in good working order (kinda assumed) - indicator lights when stand is down

"Reverse stuff":
- As you move the lever into reverse, the "N" lamp goes out
- With the lever fully "upward" in reverse, the "R" lamp does not light
- There's mention of other symptoms, but without the "R" lamp, the reverse system is non-operational.

"Hack stuff":
- leaving the reverse switch loose (not mounted) allowed "reverse worked" no mention if the "R" lamp lighted...
-?- Did the "R" lamp illuminate properly here, or were you running the starter with the reverse gears engaged (no "R" lamp - completely different operational mode)

Here I'd begin with a few items listed above, and continue on...
  1. Confirm that the Oil Lamp is on the FULL time that the engine is off, and that it shuts off within a few seconds of startup (and again comes on when the engine is stopped)
  2. Confirm proper operation of th Side Stand Switch (The Green wire with White stripe at the Side Stand MUST show a good ground with the stand in the UP position)
  3. Measure resistance to ground from BOTH sides of that 65A dogbone under the seat (easy to measure, but not often the trouble)
  4. Adjust the reverse cables to spec
  5. Measure the Reverse lever switch in its installed position for BOTH lever positions (after cable adjustment) {Brown wire with White stripe should have +12 with the key on, the Black with White stripe should have +12 ONLY in normal operation, and the White wire with a Blue stripe should have +12 with the lever in reverse} Mechanical linkage cables should be adjusted beforehand to assure full lever travel.
  6. Measure for ground at the Reverse Switch ( a "stud-like" connector above and to the right of the oil DipStick) - Should be Ground only when NOT in reverse.... Shouldn't relate to lighting the "R" indicator, but the running 'hack' above has me a bit worried about the starter control here...
Again, for me, I would focus on getting the "R" indicator to light when the engine is running and the reverse lever is pulled outward-then-up into the "reverse" position. Once the "R" illuminates, at least you'll know that you'll be trying to run reverse...
Everything works as you describe, oil light is on until the engine starts and stays off until the engine shuts down. The side stand light works properly, and the only time I see the "R" light is during the bulb check. In "Hack Stuff" the "R" did not illuminate when I tried the reverse without the switch installed. You have given me some great advice and I will investigate them all tomorrow when I get back out to the shop. I will post my findings. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After following the advice of Satan and others here the reverse is working properly. It ended up being a loose connection at the RCU.

Thanks for all of your input. :claps:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Well I thought Id post an update to that Reverse problem. As it turns out I got the bike all put back together after I found the loose connection. I put it on the ground to test it and yep you guessed it, the darn thing was still not working. Upon further troubleshooting I found the connection on the RCU to be the issue. It would connect intermittently and a jar or bump would break the connection. I found an RCU and the harness on Ebay for $14.99! Bike is together and working just great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.