Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a problem with my GL1500 that i have recently acquired,
To cut a long story short , the reverse idler gear is broken,
I know that its an engine out to repair, but do i need any thing else than just the gear,
Do i need gaskets or anything else,?
When taking the engine out , can i just un-bolt the carburettor assy / throttle body ,leave them in place , and slide the engine out., any help and advise will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
You will need the rear cover gasket. Never did a 1500 engine but you should be able to unbolt the manifolds and hang them up, maybe. Still hoses and things you will have to disconnect from them.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
I’ve done 2... both on ‘88s. One was on my bike and another 88. Mine was a victim of hydraulic lock and according to the Honda Bulletin any pinched breather tubes can cause carb overflow into the left cylinders. The overflow is more often when the bike is on the side stand.
Considering the age of the bike I’d recommend replacing the rear cover gasket and the clutch cover gasket. In addition the output shaft seal, exhaust gaskets and muffler packings, the 2 intake manifolds packings and the 4 clamps, the intake manifold gaskets and especially the 90 degree vacuum hose under the rubber packing at the back of the carbs.
Now would be a good time to pull the intake manifolds off, flip them over and seal the small ‘freeze plugs’ with JB Weld. I’ve seen these plugs be the source of vacuum leaks.
Good luck and if you need any help ...
[email protected]

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
29 Posts
I just did this, it is very likely that the starter gear (inside the back case) is shot if the reverse idle gear is.

The service manual is a decent help for removal of the motor. It is not overly difficult to get it out just takes time with all of the plugs, hoses etc.

You will have to pull the carbs from the top otherwise there is no way to get to a number of hoses (water and vacuum) in order to get the engine out.

There is a BUNCH of stuff under the carbs to remove/unplug. The 90 degree vacuum hose (17173-MN5-000 - #14 on this diagram Honda Motorcycle 1998 OEM Parts Diagram for Tubing (2) | Partzilla.com) that is under the carbs is something you will want to order, and check the rest of the vacuum hoses very carefully.

Four gaskets: clutch cover, rear case gasket, exhaust gaskets for the exhaust manifold, possibly at least 1 intake gasket.

If you are going to rebuild the carbs, a carb kit. Also a great time to replace the shifter seal, clutch rod seal, and possibly the seals for the main output shaft.

Reactions: vinnymc

·
Registered
456 Posts
I replaced my 1500 motor about 4 years ago. I did it by myself and it's a big job to get it out of the frame. You need room for it to slide out the left side.

The Carb's need to be pulled and the fans need to come out, mark your Vacuum lines and take pictures. Pull the exhaust off the bike from the manifolds back.

The more stuff you get out of the way like the radiators and the cruz mod the better. That motor is a very tight fit in the frame. Even the horns can cause problems when putting the motor back in.

You just have to take your time and figure it out as you go. The power output shaft was really hard to line up when re installing if I did it again I would pull the rear end and put the motor in the frame and then the rear end back in the bike.

The starter and alternator can be installed after the motor is back in the frame. I had a Clymer Manuel and used Goldwing Doc's and this site for questions. Good luck and if I can do it you can do it also. I have a motorcycle jack and a floor jack and the bike was on the ground on the center stand. The motor is heavy so be ready for it. Jerry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the advice,
I have the carbs , exhaust , fans ,all tupperware, including all the rear bags, and front nose cone, for re-paint,
As i have to replace both tyres , i think i will pull off the final drive and shaft, but thats for tomorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again,
I now have the engine out, broken gear located and replaced , and the engine back in place,
My big question is, what is the proper procedure of refitting the starter and not break the reverse idler gear, ?

any other thing to watch out for ,so as not to break the gear.?

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
29 Posts
Seat it by hand do not use the bolts to pull it in tight. A little dielectric grease or oil on the oring will help it slide in a bit easier.

Reactions: vinnymc

·
Registered
476 Posts
Turning the engine with a socket on the front crank bolt whilst gently pushing starter in and you will feel it mesh and slide easily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts