Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my '99 1500SE started having intermittent issues going into reverse. Usually I could move the reverse handle back and forth and it would work. Last time I tried to use it, nothing. It's locking the rear tire, but the "R" light doesn't come on, and when pushing the starter button, the headlight flashes but that's it. I checked all the common culprits, but all seem OK. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
First thing I'd check is the reverse lever switch, a common fail point. Left side Tupperware has to come off to get to it. You'll find the switch right behind the tupperware, actuated by the cam the reverse handle bolts to.

It is a 2 position switch, normally passes power from fuse 9 to the neutral light among other things, then when you shift into reverse sends power from fuse 9 to enable the reverse system. Absence of "R" light indicates reverse system isn't getting enabled. Having to move handle back and forth to get it to work indicates the switch was failing.

Cyclemax sells replacement switches, not very expensive. $15.50

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Last year my '99 1500SE started having intermittent issues going into reverse. Usually I could move the reverse handle back and forth and it would work. Last time I tried to use it, nothing. It's locking the rear tire, but the "R" light doesn't come on, and when pushing the starter button, the headlight flashes but that's it. I checked all the common culprits, but all seem OK. What am I missing?
You have to give more info than "the common culprits." If you list what you checked and how you checked them it will be much more helpful and more help will follow. Denver is right about the lever switch being the most likely issue.
To add to Denver's explanation if that switch fails (or wiring issue) you will have no head lights when in reverse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Common Culprits" meaning fuse, connections, anything that looked obvious. Looks like it's the switch, though. Did a continuity test on it and it tested bad. Thx for all the tips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try sliding the rubber cover off of reverse lever. You will be able to see part of the switch mechanism at base of lever. I used to spray a little electrical contact cleaner in that area, and work lever up and down a few times. Do NOT use reverse lever for a parking brake. You will have to be careful not to get spray onto paint.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
It is a 2 position switch, normally passes power from fuse 9 to the neutral light among other things, then when you shift into reverse sends power from fuse 9 to enable the reverse system. Absence of "R" light indicates reverse system isn't getting enabled. Having to move handle back and forth to get it to work indicates the switch was failing.
Dave, If you spot an error in a post it seems it would be better to make an effort to let the poster and readers aware. I am not sure why you would just highlight the error. .

Denver,
I think Dbohrer was trying to point this out:
The reverse (not neutral) light is driven by the reverse module when it sees power from the reverse switch. and other parameters are satisfied.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never use the reverse lever on a 1500 for parking brake becuse it is what weakens the spring in reverse switch causing problems described. Better to use the engine compression than a small starter to hold bike anyway......but go ahead and use reverse lever for a parking brake..
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
Never use the reverse lever on a 1500 for parking brake because it is what weakens the spring in reverse switch causing problems described. Better to use the engine compression than a small starter to hold bike anyway......but go ahead and use reverse lever for a parking brake..
gumbyredd
Now that makes sense. I have seen people say not to use it for ridiculous reasons like too much strain on the gears. Better not use reverse at all in that case. 1800s have no such lever and no such switch so I don't see any problem using reverse for a parking brake, in fact I use it on mine every time I leave my place to hold it on a slope while I close the gate. That is easier on the starter than shutting it off and restarting it every time.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Mike, Where did I indicate it was an "error". I never said that it was an "error". . .
Maybe I made a false conclusion. I just couldn't figure out why you just reposted Denver's post with "passes power from fuse 9 to the neutral light among other things" highlighted. It made me scratch my head because you added nothing to the post./ What were you trying to say. I must be missing something. Sorry. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Maybe I made a false conclusion. I just couldn't figure out why you just reposted Denver's post with "passes power from fuse 9 to the neutral light among other things" highlighted. It made me scratch my head because you added nothing to the post./ What were you trying to say. I must be missing something. Sorry. :confused:
Did you miss where I indicated it was for the benefit of other readers who might have a 1988 - 1992. Obviously you must have missed that.

I don't want you scratching you head. I'll try "real hard" not to post in the future.

Since you feel I add nothing of value.

I deleted my posts, hope that might meet approval....

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Did you miss where I indicated it was for the benefit of other readers who might have a 1988 - 1992. Obviously you must have missed that.

I don't want you scratching you head. I'll try "real hard" not to post in the future.

I still don't know what you are talking about. I really must have missed something...Oh well. If that's the way you want to be. 😕

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
Bike in question was a '99. I usually stay out of electrical troubleshooting on the '88-'92 1500's due to lack of documentation, they are different animals.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts

Dave B,
don't delete your posts. What you post has been very good in the past, and having it up, can help future readers.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
"88 and "89 models are different animals with two post starters, fuel pump relays, separate altitude compensation control, individual plug-in reverse diodes, reverse power control unit (transistor) instead of relays, starter relay B located to the left of battery instead of by brake pedal, etc. "90 and up models are virtually identical.:) All this info can be confirmed in the parts manuals, do not use service manuals as gospel for the 1500 as they were not always updated properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts