Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is a dumb question.

Are all GL1500 starter motor the same? The reason I ask is that I noticed two sets of planetary reduction gears in my 88 service manual. One was the "starter" reduction, and the other was listed as "reverse" reduction.

So, would the starter be different in an Interstateor would it use the same starter?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The reverse equipped starters have two sets of planetary gears. Interstates which were introduced a couple years later have no reverse and a single planetary system.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Darn, darn, dag-gum-it.

I just bought a starter from ebay,and now I have no idea what I bought. I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

Best way of learning is through one's mistakes, butmaybe I will luck out - maybe not.

Thanks guys.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ia starter from an Aspencade or SE will work on an '88 since all '88s had reverse.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Not counting the Interstate...
there are 2 types of starters: older models (like your and my 88 versions) have 2 terminals on the outside of the housing
Newer models have only one terminal. That's an easy way to tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
Not counting the Interstate...
there are 2 types of starters: older models (like your and my 88 versions) have 2 terminals on the outside of the housing
Newer models have only one terminal. That's an easy way to tell them apart.
I have 89 model, its also has 2 terminals on the outside of the housing. I think that those 2 yrs model are 2 terminals only. 1991-up have only 1 terminal. Not sure about 1990 model. Early Models starter were a little smaller in diameter's starters88-89.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Darn, darn, dag-gum-it.

I just bought a starter from ebay,and now I have no idea what I bought. I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

Best way of learning is through one's mistakes, butmaybe I will luck out - maybe not.

Thanks guys
Woo Whoo, I lucked out.

Starter was off a 89, two post, with 35k miles - $27.75 plus shipping. :dance:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.