Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Been a while since my last post.
I have a 1993 GL1500. I am looking for one good used muffler (canister) for it.
The price new is totally outrageous where I live, totalling over $1,000 canadian for only one side.

I've attached a photo of the ridiculous muffler cement I've been using to patch up the holes.. YECH!! I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a used one. (Southern Ontario, Canada area)

Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I've seen them on eBay. But it's always a dodgy buy because you just don't know if a used one is likely to blow out from the inside soon after you buy it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Hi all!
Been a while since my last post.
I have a 1993 GL1500. I am looking for one good used muffler (canister) for it.
The price new is totally outrageous where I live, totalling over $1,000 canadian for only one side.

I've attached a photo of the ridiculous muffler cement I've been using to patch up the holes.. YECH!! I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a used one. (Southern Ontario, Canada area)

Cheers!
Steve
Vic on the http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/ website used a section of light stainless pipe with the end cut at an angle and slid over the offending pipes... see the yellow bike on the opening page.

Could work and save you some bucks.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
For future use, would be interested in the length of the piece you put the 45 degree cut in. Didn't see that in the picture you posted.
TIA
If my memory is retaining anything ...........I think the total length was 6" notched @ 3". I welded the piece I cut out to make the notch on the inside of the bend to seal and support the bend.
I measured out from the collector pipe far enough to line up with the muffler outlet, the tail end of the adapter can be adjusted to change the rear position of the back of the muffler, I have seen some sticking out farther than mine and some more in under the side bag.
Since there is no "turn down" on the muffler, I didn't want my exhaust exiting under the bags so I extended the adapter to suit. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If my memory is retaining anything ...........I think the total length was 6" notched @ 3". I welded the piece I cut out to make the notch on the inside of the bend to seal and support the bend.
I measured out from the collector pipe far enough to line up with the muffler outlet, the tail end of the adapter can be adjusted to change the rear position of the back of the muffler, I have seen some sticking out farther than mine and some more in under the side bag.
Since there is no "turn down" on the muffler, I didn't want my exhaust exiting under the bags so I extended the adapter to suit. :waving:
Thanks for that info.
Figured I might want to keep that for when it happens.

I'll go in and re-edit that pix you had with that measurement.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Thanks for that info.
Figured I might want to keep that for when it happens.

I'll go in and re-edit that pix you had with that measurement.
I wouldn't bother editing anything thanks, I'm relying on my memory, I don't want anyone making something that might not fit their needs & blaming me, everyone can measure their own to suit.. Thanks

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Thanks Bellboy, I"d forgot about that ..........:bow:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
i guess you all ready have a replacement by now but if not i have the set off if my 1988 with 3 way tips mounted on the ends so it looks like 6 pipes... no holes or leaks... I have some pics if you send a request i will email to you cause i always have trouble posting here with pics... heres the deal 50.00 US and you pay for the shipping and they are yours, I got enough boat anchor parts laying around. I know exhaust is not cheap and I don't mind helping someone. Only thing is how in the world do you ship to canada.... let me know before I put them up on a high shelf....Craig PS. you get to polish them too...but they are in good shape

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
i guess you all ready have a replacement by now but if not i have the set off if my 1988 with 3 way tips mounted on the ends so it looks like 6 pipes... no holes or leaks... I have some pics if you send a request i will email to you cause i always have trouble posting here with pics... heres the deal 50.00 US and you pay for the shipping and they are yours, I got enough boat anchor parts laying around. I know exhaust is not cheap and I don't mind helping someone. Only thing is how in the world do you ship to canada.... let me know before I put them up on a high shelf....Craig PS. you get to polish them too...but they are in good shape

pm sent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.