Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Goldwing SE and this is my first one. So, not too familar with them.I noticed when I took her out on the highway she is running smooth and quiet. As I was cruising around 70 mph. I noticed that I was running close to 3000 rpms. I looked and I am in od which I am thinking is last gear. Is this normal for this bike? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!:)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That's about right.

Honda designed them as there isn't much in the power band below that in OD.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I have a 92 Goldwing SE and this is my first one. So, not too familar with them.I noticed when I took her out on the highway she is running smooth and quiet. As I was cruising around 70 mph. I noticed that I was running close to 3000 rpms. I looked and I am in od which I am thinking is last gear. Is this normal for this bike? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!:)
Sounds about right. My 2000A runs about 2600 @ 60mph

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
I have the 2010 and thats normal, mine is 2,500 RPM's at about 60 MPH ( 97 Km/h ) and at 70 MPH ( 112 Km/h ) it does about 3,000 RPM's.

Personally I would liked to have seen Honda make the OD a higher so that your doing 2,500 RPM's at the 70 MPH mark as the engine has more then enough power to handle this very easy.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was ridiing with a friend of mine and he has a Harely wide glide. And at 70mph he was running 2100rpms. After hearing that I thought maybe I had a some kinda issue.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
He got a tractor engine you have a sports car engine.
Wilf
John Deere! Many of their parts have the same numbers.
I remember working in the fall in NH as a kid that they had a single lung JD.
JD. HD. Musta been cousins, both from WI.
Nothing wrong with WI either!

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
My experience

At 3000 RPM's my 1996 GL1500 will be doing 67-68 MPH according to the GPS.

I have a Vredestein Comtrac 175-75 DarksideTire rear..The RPM's are about 200 lower than an OEM tire...at the same speed. Speedo is driven off the front wheel ...

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
At 3000 RPM's my 1996 GL1500 will be doing 67-68 MPH according to the GPS.... snip
My 94 is running 3k rpms at 68 mph also according to my GPS with the Avon Venom in the stock 160-80-16 size.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what is so helpful with this forum. I had no idea about the importance of a back tire would make on the rpms. You would think with that high rpm(3000rpm) gas mileage would just drop.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
Actually the rpms do not have that much effect on the fuel mileage. What kills your fuel mileage is speed. When you get over about 70 mph with a Goldwing, it takes a lot more power to push it through the wind. You are shoving a large fairing and windshield ahead of you and that creates a lot of wind drag. That is what kills the mileage.
Drag generally increases as the square of your speed. That means that if your speed doubles then the drag increases by 4 times its previous value.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Actually the rpms do not have that much effect on the fuel mileage. What kills your fuel mileage is speed. When you get over about 70 mph with a Goldwing, it takes a lot more power to push it through the wind. You are shoving a large fairing and windshield ahead of you and that creates a lot of wind drag. That is what kills the mileage.
Drag generally increases as the square of your speed. That means that if your speed doubles then the drag increases by 4 times its previous value.
Above 65mph is the start dropping off big time, even at 70 there is a marked difference depending on your windshield.....BUT I can't drive 65!:shock:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

That is about the same as my 97' SE. As stated, once you get over 70 your fuel mileage really goes for a $h--. There should be one more gear on the 1500's. And not one below 1st.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I was ridiing with a friend of mine and he has a Harely wide glide. And at 70mph he was running 2100rpms. After hearing that I thought maybe I had a some kinda issue.
His Wide Glide has 2 750-850 cc cylinders whereas you have 6 250 cc cylinders. Big pistons make big power at low rpms.

Now, how many miles do each of you have on your bike? Given the same care, I'd expect your Goldwing to go 3 times as many miles before you need to tear into that engine. Not slamming Harleys (I like them), just pointing out one of the Goldwing strengths.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
He got a tractor engine you have a sports car engine.
Wilf
I love it.:ROFL:

My 99 GL1500SE does 3000 RPM at 70 MPH. I ride 72 miles a day to work and back. 4 lane 65 MPH highway. (weather permitting) I try real hard to stay below 70, that keeps my fuel mileage between 37-40 Miles per gallon.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
With the Austone (you mentioned going that way) I sit at 3000 rpm right at70. I have been getting 38-42 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
John Deere! Many of their parts have the same numbers.
I remember working in the fall in NH as a kid that they had a single lung JD.
JD. HD. Musta been cousins, both from WI.
Nothing wrong with WI either!

Never thought of it that way, HD, JD, two cylinders, two of everything.

The only thing is a JD sounds better that a HD ! Just saying.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Never thought of it that way, HD, JD, two cylinders, two of everything.

The only thing is a JD sounds better that a HD ! Just saying.

But........JD is John Dain. Not Davidson.
The Two cylinders.... well the Deere is a flat parallel engine.
Both in WI.... nope. JD is IL based. HD just uses some of JD's parts. :raspberry:

And I like the sound of the old JDs better too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.