Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Forum and to the world of GoldWings. In fact it has been some thirity some years. Last bike was a CB750 K.
Got a 1988 GL1500 with 6+,000 miles in pretty good shape but no maintenance records. When I got down to the carbs the black rubber between the carbs and mainifold is in several picies. how relavent is this items. Can I run without it or try to find one?
Thanks in advance.
jerry

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jerry

You can sometimes find one from a parts breaker. Fleebay.
I think Honda put it on to insulate some of the heat hitting the carbs and fuel lines.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,644 Posts
I can tell you that if I ever get down that deep in my carburetors, it will not be reinstalled period.

It is a PITA in my own feeble opinion.

And I just may have to get down there because of late, my bike has started the dreaded surging at idle that we are all so familiar with. It is now surging upwards 400-500 rpm higher and then it dips down to 900 and repeats again. argh!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
John , do you have corn gasoline out your way ? Thats the biggest hoax the gubmint has pulled over on us recently . that stuff is nasty . It only takes a few weeks of sitting and it goes bad . It collects moisture ,causes corrosion , eats rubber parts .
If its just gumming up lots of sea foam or techron might save you the hassel or removing carbs . I also use stabil on my small engines . I try not to leave fuel in the tanks and run the carb as dry as possible when I put them away .

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,644 Posts
Oh yeah, lots of that nasty corn stuff around here.

I am fully convinced that was at least part of the problem with the fuel pump gumming up to where the rotor would not turn even with a screwdriver pushing on the rotor impeller.

I drained the tank and flushed it twice with pure gas which will be the only fuel I put in it from now on if at all possible to avoid the alcohol stuff.

A new glass fuel filter, new fuel pump like we all talked about a few weeks ago and fresh fuel has it running again.

Nice ride today, and plan on another tomorrow. It sure is a nice comfort to just twist the throttle once, pull the enrichment lever down to the bottom and click.... varoom!

Nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.