Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1988 1500, 58k miles. Changing out carbs, rubber mat thing is almost in pieces - dryed out and falling apart outboard by the heads, and cracked in the middle.

I'm wondering if EPDM rubber roof membrane would be sufficiently heat resistant for this purpose. I've got a nice chunk sitting here. It sure LOOKS like that's what Ma Honda used. Anybody tried it ??

It just lays across the intakes - I can't see it getting hot enough to burn. I'd just hate to be a screaming fireball, flying down the road - with skin and soft tissue melting and falling off. . . . . . . would kinda wreck a nice tour. . . . . .

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

The edpm is rated for 212 f. i would not put in on, mine was also torn and worn, i removed it and it has been ok. Maybe others will be along to verifyremoving it will not cause a problem.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi number1 the rubber mat is to stop heat riseing up to the carbs and vepourising the fuel to much the heat exchanger on the carbs shuts down when the bike gets up to 68 degrees i dont know what epdm is but if you take a peice of each and hold them over a flame see witch one goes up in smoke first or you can use some insulated foil

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Try to find some insulated floor mat material for cars. The stuff with aluminum cladding on it.

A local junk yard ought to have a few specimens around to snatch a piece off of.

This used to be quite common when catalytic converters first came out because they ran so hot.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll root around. I want something non-conductive, that won't get water-logged . . .

(not that I ever get caught in rain. . . ) :)

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

Mines the same I'm getting some heat proof matting from car parts shop that gets used for keeping heat from turbos affecting anything it's about £10

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.