Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had an alarm fitted to my 1500 last week and now it will only run on 4 cylinders. I only had the bike out twice since alarm day and just noticed it was running a bit sluggish. I can't ride the bike like this, the guy next door figured out it was no spark on two back cylinders.
The alarm is a Sola 835T, any suggestions where to look? The alarm guy who did the job for me is away in Florida for 3 weeks (on my money) and I can't wait that long.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Reddy wrote:
Had an alarm fitted to my 1500 last week and now it will only run on 4 cylinders.
The alarm is a Sola 835T, any suggestions where to look? The alarm guy who did the job for me is away in Florida for 3 weeks (on my money) and I can't wait that long.
Reddy, He has probably gone to buy an 1800 with some of your money. My advice to you is, disconnect the Alarm untill this cowboy comes back and let him sort out the prob. :( :X :shock:.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Oh I wish I could disconnect it Redwing, but I don't know where to start. The main unit is under the left fairing pocket but I'm not sure where all the wires go to. The alarm guy was reccomended by a friend but he usually fits them to cars, althoughhe was confident he could fit it to the Wing. I let him use my workshop manual for taking off the radio console and air filter box to get at the ignition and coils. I will have to strip off the panels again but I'm still not sure what to look for.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Reddy, Go to the cover page of this website and go down the headings to about 27 and you will find "Joe Foley Alarms," This is the man you should have brought your wing too. Ph. 087.4182270, or the workshop Ph.044.76746. It's about 35 miles out of Dublin town on the main Galway road N4. :D ;)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Reddy,
Redwing is correct, you should really have got Joe or someone like him to do this job, but the damage is done and now you have to try and sort it out. I have read your two posts carefully and have the following suggestions;

1. You said thatyou have no spark at the back cylinders and also that the alarm man took out the air box. If he removed the air box then he wanted access to the coils for the ignition kill. Bad news on a three coil bike as the bike will still start and run on four cylinders anyway. Look at the three piggybacked coils and in particular the bottom one (that supplies the back cylinders) and see if there is a new wire connected to the input (low tension) side. If there is then cut it off and connect the old wire back together.

2. I'm no alarm expert but I have had Solas before (805s I think) and usually wire the immobilizer to the kill switch (never the coils), but if you manage to get the bike running right then just do that and get your friend to rectify the situation when he gets back. My money would be on the immobilizer going to the coil being the problem, if I were a betting man that is.
If you can't find any new wires to the coil then I can't be of any more help, someone else may be more helpful. I'm not sure if Joe is reading the posts here yet (I sent him the e-mail about the new forum just this morning), but I'm sure he will help out if you call him.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Steve, thanks a lot. You might have something there. Eddie spent some time in the general area of the coils (he was complaining how hard they are to get at) soI will have a look at that tomorrow. I just spentthe last 2 hours taking off the radio console and shelter and I'm bushed! I might just get the rest of the bits off tomorrow. Messes up my weekend but at least the advce got me a head start on wheere to start looking.

I will let you all know how I get on. If I get nowhere then I will phone Joe Foley.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Your hunch was bang on the button Steve, thanks thanks and thanks again! There was a black wire breaked into one of the wires on the lowest coil. I cut it off and started the bike but it ran the same, I had forgotten to reconnect the original coil wire and when I done this all 6 cylinders popped into life! Funny thing is the alarm still works (not the immobiliser of course) so at least I can put the bike back together now (after lunch) and ride it and give Eddie a slap on the head when he comes to sort it after his Florida trip, hope he gets SUNBURN!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

We would be lost without the Admin. This man is a genius. He can even solve problems without seeing them. :D :) ;)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Just common sense Redwing on that problem. Car alarm guys often do this with cars and wire the immobiliser to the wrong side of the coil (that's what happens when you don't have the up to date database). The last time I actually seen this done wrong on a bike was (believe it or not) on Joes F6C a few years ago. So this time it was a half-educated guesstimate!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.