Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone. I'm new to Goldwing Facts so pleasebear with me. I have a '88 1500 I bought for $500 it has 74000 miles. The fuel filter was plugged when I bought it3 years ago. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and plugs. The bike purred like a kitten until this year. The battery diedlast springso I changed it and when I took the bike outit was running really flat from idle to 2200 rpm then it felt like a two stroke power band kicked in and it took off. I ran 1 bottle of Sea Foam in 2 tankfulls of fuel and it did not help. I parked it untill this weekend because it was kinda scary to ride (I've been riding Wings for 20+ years) anyway it took a long time to fire but when it did it idled and ran great in nuetral. I took it out today and it ran great untill it warmed up then the problem started again. I was hoping someone had an idea of what to check.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Possible the fuel filter is plugged up again. Is there any rust in the gas tank? Seafoam could have loosened crud.

Gumbyred

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
Possible the fuel filter is plugged up again. Is there any rust in the gas tank? Seafoam could have loosened crud.

Gumbyred
> If it was a plugged fuel filter, then the bike would not be able to run normally at the higher rpms... eg It would have a constant loss of power at all rpm's

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Oddly enough the first thing I would suspect is vacuum leak then clogged carb's

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I still think you would be surprised if you just took the fuel filter off and see what drained out of it. Cost you nothing.

A few weeks ago I asked a question about my `98 S.E. acting like it was starved for gas going uphill. Cut out bad at 65. Took it up the same hill recrntly at 75, with no cutout. Only difference I can think of was gas tank was 1/4 full before when it would cut out. Had a full tank of gas when it wouldn`t. Maybe fuel pump is
getting weak? I`m still monitoring.

I can`t figure out how it would run better at high R.P.M. than low R.P.M. with a vacuum leak either.

Gumbyred

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

If the slides inside the carb were stickingcould it cause this problem. I'm wondering why it seems to be worse when it's warm

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'll change the fuel filter and test (weather permitting ) while I try to get to the vaccuum lines. I bought a set of 1990carbs off of ebay. Think I should rebuild them and put them on while I'm in that far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.