Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 1500. I found out to late you are not suppost to use windex on the windshield. Now it looks like there are scraches all over it. Someone told me about a product 3m puts out. It is suppost to remove all scratches. Have you heard of anyone using this or do I have to replace it. Thank you for your time.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The ammonia in Windex will yellow the windscreen but not scratch it.
It's likely the paper towels you used which are abrasive:shock: that did the scratching.

There are products that claim to remove scratches but any I've tried are fine abrasives and leave the windscreen looking foggy.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Ive used a product called Plastx with a wet sponge...really does wonders on old windshields to clear them up...and do yourself a favor and get some mirco fiber cloths and not use the paper towels anymore...hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I missed the part where he used paper towels?
Wilf

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
I missed the part where he used paper towels?
Wilf
Guess your right, ken mentioned that and not OP, My bad. But if he did advice still applies..lol

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The paper towels was just an assumption as Windex and paper towels just go together, like fish and chips or liver and onions.:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Plexus is also good for removing scratches. Micro fiber towels are a must.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Plexus is also good for removing scratches. Micro fiber towels are a must.
Plexus cleaner & polish will not remove visible scratches.

Plexus scratch remover is one I've tried and it does fog the windscreen with microscopic scratches.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No Plexus will not remove scratches.

But I will bet you every dollar you have in your wallet that it makes the windshield much, MUCH better after use.

The problem is that you have to repolish the windshield within a week or so to get the best results.

I ride a stretch that is westbound right into the setting sun every day.

On my old windshield I had tried everything to help eliminate or blend the multiple scratches and scuffs from years of abuse.

The use of Plexus was almost magic. It was like Night and Day. How awesome.

But nothing beats a new windshield and that's what I finally did for this bike.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Any plastic scratch remover you use will take a lot of elbow grease. And I mean a lot! You may just want to consider buying a new windshield and keeping it clean and scratch free by using only plasic cleaners like Plexus, Novus etc. and NEVER let anything but a microfiber towel touch your windshield.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
If you are dealing with a stock windshield, none of the above advice will really do any good. The shield is made of Lexan and has a coating.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
The ammonia in Windex will yellow the windscreen but not scratch it.
It's likely the paper towels you used which are abrasive:shock: that did the scratching.

There are products that claim to remove scratches but any I've tried are fine abrasives and leave the windscreen looking foggy.
I have a 1985 Interstate and the winshield is crazzed and hard to look thru riding into the sun.

I notice you have a 1984 interstate.

Where can I purchase a new one OR any way of repairing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.