Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
I look at it like a dog. The first bite is free. Next time it's gone. As Dave said it really is your call but if you get a good battery and keep it fully charged with a battery tender chances are very good it will last a long time. Just my experience and opinion.
I have disassembled many to find one burn spot about 5% of the total area. The other 95% looked good. The exception is if it left a tit on the surface. Then it will not last but if that is the case the screwdriver can not break it apart usually. Very common on diesel engines. They even have a solenoid contact set you can buy separate for the old 24 volt 40MT starter. Had to hit them with a baseball bat! :p. Kit was just the 2 studs and the copper washer basically.
I have repaired the motorcycle solenoids by taking all the nuts off the studs and prying the 3 crimps so it comes apart. Sand the ends of the studs and sand the washer. Some you can turn the washer over. Put it back together and use a punch to re-crimp. Actually easy to do. I'm sure lots of others here have done the same.
How did you know I have disassembled a relay A....!!!:D
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,805 Posts
How did you know I have disassembled a relay A....!!!:D
Be easier to list the things you haven't taken apart. What I was actually talking about was taking every nut off the solenoid. Use a small screwdriver to pull back the crimped places that hold the electromagnet on. Then drop the electromagnet off. The contact washer and contacts is what I was referring to. The two studs and the washer made up the kit. Easy fix. :cool:

Edit: They still do sell the kits but the price is kind of spendy. :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
Be easier to list the things you haven't taken apart. What I was actually talking about was taking every nut off the solenoid. Use a small screwdriver to pull back the crimped places that hold the electromagnet on. Then drop the electromagnet off. The contact washer and contacts is what I was referring to. The tow studs and the washer made up the kit. Easy fix. :cool:

Edit: They still do sell the kits but the price is kind of spendy. :(
Yeah, I have disassembled one that far down. Just don't have pictures anymore on my 'puter.....!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think my thread has been hijacked.. None the less I enjoy the Banter -

Today I installed a new AMG battery- The bike has never turned over so fast before!! For a moment I thought I didn't have any compression, but then it started.. It seems like the starter solenoid is ok - a little riding time next summer will tell I guess.
Thanks to all of you who gave input about this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,805 Posts
I think my thread has been hijacked.. None the less I enjoy the Banter -

Today I installed a new AMG battery- The bike has never turned over so fast before!! For a moment I thought I didn't have any compression, but then it started.. It seems like the starter solenoid is ok - a little riding time next summer will tell I guess.
Thanks to all of you who gave input about this.
The first time I got a new AGM battery it spun so fast I thought "great! If the bike breaks down I can get home with the starter." :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
24,848 Posts
I think my thread has been hijacked.. None the less I enjoy the Banter -

Today I installed a new AMG battery- The bike has never turned over so fast before!! For a moment I thought I didn't have any compression, but then it started.. It seems like the starter solenoid is ok - a little riding time next summer will tell I guess.
Thanks to all of you who gave input about this.
It's one of those things that happens slowly so you don't notice it's not cranking as fast as it used to. I have heard so many engines crank I can pick out a low battery across a parking lot.
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top