Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

My high beams are not working. The low beam works fine. I have checked my bulbs, and the relay and both are functioning OK. I can hear/feel the relay kick in but the high beams will not work. I can hear a clicking noise up the front of the bike too just as the relay kicks in at the relay box (lower left side).

Not sure what else to look for. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Keith

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Keith

How do you know the relays are functioning properly? Feeling it click is not a test.
Have you swapped the hi/low relays to test the hi relay?
Did you test the fuses with a test meter?
Did you test the bulbs with a test meter?
Have you tried spraying the hi-low switch with contact cleaner? My switch has at times not worked on low when switching, have had to flick a couple times, so a cleaning is in order for mine.
Let us know so we can help you get er done.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi,
I took the relay and the headlights to an auto electrician who checked both and said they were OK. He suggested that if the relay clicked it meant the switch at the handlebars was OK.

I notice there is no blue light coming on the dash indicating high beam.

I found two relays up the front that I think are associated with a light bar at the front that comes on with the high beam. These are not working either. The relay boxes both click. I am going to do a bit more investigation into these other relays, and the light bar. The light bar had one broken lens so maybe moisture has gotten somewhere it shouldn't.
Is there a fuse that is just for the high beams? If so, where do I find it.

Thanks again!

Merry Christmas, Keith

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

From your description, I think a previous owner has rewired things.

I am suspecting the high beams have a separate fuse circuit.
Shouldn't, but might have.

I think you will do well to start tracing the wiring and comparing it to the manual.

if you need a copy of the chapter relating to the headlights, give me a PM.

You can also download the complete ETM from various sources. sorry no links right now.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I agree with what AZgl1500 just said. It is sounding like a ground problem at the lights that is the problem.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Well...

The high and low beams each have their OWN relay to switch each on. so you'll "Hear" a relay flip as you change from low to high and back again (you should hear two - one on and the other off!). So as above, the listening test really won't work it.

Which relay did you take to the shop to have tested? (#4? second realy down on the left-side of the relay box? this may change a bit by year... Naming is pretty obvious on the relay box).

The Blue "high beam" indicator lamp on the dash that you mention NOT working is driven from the Highbeam relay directly (on the bike's side of the headlamp harness)... So since this lamp is NOT working (can we assume that the little indicator bulb is good ?) you're not getting power OUT of the harness one connector away from the Highbeam relay (#4?)

Since you do have low beams, and they do come on and go out, the Head Fuse (15A #5) and the head Relay fuse(5A #12) should both be OK.

I know that someone's verified the relay for you, but you can also swap the Hi relay with the Low relay to see if your trouble follows the relay.

To check the operation of the High-low switch (to ensure that you're getting the "HIGH" output to the relay box, you may wanna unplug the "Headlights (HIGH)" relay (#4?) when you have teh bike on and the switch in Hi-beam position you should be able to feel the relay click as you remove it and again as you install it into the connector.

On the left side of the bike kinda "under" the left pocket, but a lot easier to get at with the inner fairing outta the way, there's a 14 pin black connector in the mounted connectors there that is the ONLY connector between the high=beam indicator and the fuse block - high beam should be a switched wire (dark stripe on a blue wire) same coloring as is behind the bulb itself...

Personally, before chasing that connector, I would "ring out" the harness from the relay socket. With the bike in on and the headlights in the "Hi-beam" position, you should have 12V on two pins, and one of those 12V pins should "go away" when you change the beam-selector switch. The other two pins should have ground... one to "ground" and the other through the headlamp filament, disconnect the headlamp's connection and one of the grounds should 'disappear'.

It does sound like there's some aftermarket influence here... typically, if the connections are not bad, either the harness or the relay have failed...

Take a look and see what you find -- some of the minds here ought'a be able to get you going again.

:shock2:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

This same thing happened to me on my GL1500. Low beams worked, high did not. Swapped relays and same result. It turned out to be the switch. Switching to high beams did switch off the low, but did not engage the high beams. I squirted some contact cleaner in there and it fixed it.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

I plan to clean my headlight switch during spring maintenance due to problems like you describe. I've had other problems with dirty switches ... And this is an EASY place to start.:weightlifter:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Keithsutt wrote:
...if the relay clicked it meant the switch at the handlebars was OK...
> Not so... they can be bad, even if they click.

Best way to check is to swap a known good relay to the location for the High Beam.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

big connector at rt knee behind pnl...crapped up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.