Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 94A and really like the 1500. But I recently looked at a friend's 1999SE. Tried to sit on it and had some problems. The 94A seat is barely OK for me--my knees are bent a lot and feet tucked up under my butt. I'm used to cruisers where you sit like on a rocking chair!
The 99SE was even worse. The seat seemed lower and the padding behind the driver seems about 2" deeper, pushing the driver farther forward and bending the knees more. I could hardly get my feet on the pedals and shifting and braking was tough.

First, am I right--the seats ARE different-- or was it my imagination? Second, if I'm right, would an older seat, say from a 94A, fit the 99SE and fix that problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

I do remember specifically that in the 1995 model year the seat on the GL1500 was lowered just a bit, maybe about an inch or so. They did that by taking out some of the padding.

I don't think they moved the rider forward though. Just the lower seat height if I remember correctly. (I wonder if your friend's 1999SE has an aftermarket seat on it?)

Might be worth your time to look through some of the Honda microfiche at an online parts place (like BikeBandit) or a dealer's web site and see if you can find a difference in the seat part numbers from one year to the next.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I can vouch for the fact the seat on my 88 gl1500 was far firmer and sat me higher
than the new replacement seat I put on when i selected it from a 94/95 Gl1500.
My left knee tells me about it about an hour down the road. Fortunately I kept the old seat and may simply get it recovered.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

SailorKane wrote:
would an older seat, say from a 94A, fit the 99SE and fix that problem?
The older seat will bolt straight on to the 99.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on any stock Goldwing seat.Do your butt a huge favour and splurge for a custom built aftermarket seat.It will be the best money you will ever spend on your bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.