Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

out riding today got home put the bike in the garage got off and the seat is riped down the seam on the left side. Now granted it is a original seat but just over 30yrs of use come on I thought it was going to last forever. All joking aside how hard is it to recover the seat or am i better off bitting the bullet and spring for a new one. I would like to get a little less in the inseam to give me better handling at a stop. 30in right now i can handle but 29 or 28 would be better. I don't have a lot of money but i could spring about $400

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Start with local upholstery shops, they should recover it with whatever u want and spruce up the foam for under 300.00...there one in des moines will do it for that....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

The hardest part is to get the right color. Very few are black.

There is a guy on e-bay that seems reasonably priced. Under 100 bucks including shipping, I think.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Hartco sells a seat cover that works pretty good. I found one for $150 and most think it is a custom seat.

You can install it on your kitchen table without special tools.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

I have a Saddleman Road sofa just took off my 94, is like new and would like $300 for it, comes with driver and passenger backrest. Let me know if interested and I'll see if I can shoot pictures. It is about an inch lower than stock, a little narrower in front and wider in back, it is not a gel model.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

jezz judd whish you where closer. i need a new seat for my 1500.
on a side note. iv'e had my 79 1000 for about 3 yrs now.
the seat cover was cracked at a cpl seams. so I set about to replace it and find something nicer.
I bought a cpl used seats and cut one down to lower it and another was about 2 inches lower.
Well I have finaly gone back to the original seat jut latley on that bike. althow I have a short inseam I find that anything under stock hieght realy makes for an uncomfortable riding position. I find you spend very little time stopped and a whole lotta time riding in the saddle.
I'm not to shure why the bikes are designed this way other than the engine layout. but they seem to high off the ground but to short in the footpeg deparment.
wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Four years ago I bought a brand new OEM Honda seat for my '93 from Honda Direct Line for $268.00 plus $30 shipping. You might want to check out their site. Motogrid also used to have them available. I think several years of seats will fit a 1500. I noticed my '93 seat was listed a good bit cheaper than a '98. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Has anyone used the vendor Dennis posted seems like good price wonder about quality
wilf

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
Well I have finaly gone back to the original seat jut latley on that bike. althow I have a short inseam I find that anything under stock hieght realy makes for an uncomfortable riding position. I find you spend very little time stopped and a whole lotta time riding in the saddle.
I'm not to shure why the bikes are designed this way other than the engine layout. but they seem to high off the ground but to short in the footpeg deparment.
wilf
Wilf, whats a guy to do ?...you want all the suspension (high off the ground) you can get unless your riding on very smooth roads yet it's really nice to get those feet on the ground at times (can make for a cramped seat to peg length).

Thats where they take foam out of seats and Harley offers lowering kits for about every model. Another reason for aftermarket seats is the foam it stiffer to resist bottoming out on longer trips if this happens to anyone.

I think the original seats are pretty comfy but I'm a long legged lightweight.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

Venco Wingsquoted me$350 for new OEMseat for'95SE, in original color. Of course, in your case, that wouldn't include shipping to IA. My seat is getting as bad as yours, so am giving new one a lot of thought. TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf inNH

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I found a upholstery shop on e-bay who sell covers for the wing $140 for both seat and passenger backrest and only $8.00 shipping. when I get it i will post what quality it is

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

sounds lke the same place as dennis's link. waiting to hear about it. I also need arm rests
wilf

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

This guy had armrest covers for $35 the place is JUNES UPHOLSTERY the item number is 330627334612 I thought about it he also has a cover for the center backrest but my center is good and my armrest are good

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I just got my seat covers in today. I had time to cover passenger seat back but will have to wait till this weekend to try to have time to do the main seat. (had to watch world series)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

So what you think of thed quality.
kinda look's not to great but maybe just the photo
wilf

Okay well second one looks great what was the first one

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Theres a old saying you get what you paid for. I only paid $140 for the set the seam on top seams to be off a little I tried moving it but then the side seams were off. I've covered car seats before using hog rings but this is the first time with a staple gun I might of been stretching the vinal to much with the staple gun. I hope the seat comes out better if it does i will redo the back pad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.