Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The seats in my Kia Soul are not half bad either.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I don't need to know what bike you have, I can tell you one thing that I have learned in 30 years of riding: The stiffer/firmer the seat, the better on long trips.

For me, if a seat feels soft and very comfortable when I first sit on it, chances are it will hurt after a hundred miles or less (stock 1500 seats). If the seat feels hard, but is not uncomfortable, chances are I can go hundreds of miles with no problems.

Yes, there are people will say otherwise, but there are also people out there that put car tires on motorcycles: Seek the advice of many, listen to only a few....

Bill

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
How about a source for a new original seat cover so I can repair mine?
I sent mine in to kno-place upholstery and had them install their 3/4 inch gel pad plus they put memory foam over that and I have cracked my tailbone 3 times and after riding about a half hour it hurt like hell and my legs would get numb, well with the new padding I rode 150 miles yesterday and felt great, no pain no numbness. They also do covers, it did cost me about $200.00 including shipping there they pay return shipping. If you look on fleabay they also sell covers and kits where you can do the seat yourself if you trust yourself which I don't LOL. If this seats rides like this for the rest of the time I have this bike it'll be the best $200.00 I ever spent. I did once pay $900.00 bucks for a custom seat and would not like to admit this but it was no more comfy than my original Valkyrie seat, a big waste of money for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If you want to get the standard seat re-built, might want to try these guys. They do very good work and are quick.
I've had two different bike seats re-worked and been happy with the results, and much cheaper than some of the alternatives.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
All I can say is that any aftermarket seat is a hundred times better than a new stock seat on any model of Wing,so buy the one you can afford.I'm pretty happy with my Hartco even after 4 or 5 years on it,but if money was not an issue I would probably have a Corbin.

·
Magic Moderator
4,892 Posts
My 1993 GL1500 had a Corbin seat that I purchased used. Kept the original seat just in case I sold the trike. I found the Corbin seat comfy.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Recently I rode down to Russel (Day Long Seats) in Redding CA. with a bud of mine who took his BMW K bike down for a custom seat to be made same-day (this is the 5th seat he's had them do over the years).

As to whether or not they're better than other custom seat shops...I don't know...but they're very nice folks and of the 3 different shops he's used, these guys are the only ones who have consistantley made him happy.

His comment was "Going down I was ready to get off at 100 miles...coming back I could have ridden all day." That pretty much says it all.

Me...I'm perfectly happy with the stock 1500 seat, but I guess I'm in the minority.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.