Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just in from a long west Texas ride... man-o-man can my winger gobble up the miles. The last day I did 444 miles on a 100+ degree day... whew. Actually it went pretty well but... man that stock seat blistered by butt.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to make that thing more comfortable for long rides?

Another pic... Texas Hwy 118, just south of Alpine...

"I'm headed for the border, man and I'm going down in style."

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I've had the cover off my 1500 several times, cut with a utility knife, removed 2" & replaced with gel pad, re-staple the cover & do it again till I've got a custom fit, those beaded covers work real well too. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

I use a sheepskin and a "whoopee" cushion. It gets a few chuckles, but my a$$ can hold up for 500-600 miles daily.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Ain't that blue just the best 1500 colour.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Yep! I like yours too. Same make and modelk! I bought mine used so I didn't get a choice but the longer I have it the better I like it. It's like ridin' around on the Cookie Monster... sure nuff runs good!

What's it like right now down under? Visited Melbourne and a place call Warrnambool way, way back in about 1978... south coast.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

You wouldn't have any pictures of that process would you?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I've had the cover off my 1500 several times, cut with a utility knife, removed 2" & replaced with gel pad, re-staple the cover & do it again till I've got a custom fit, those beaded covers work real well too. :action::action::action:
You didn't say how or if that improved the comfort level.??

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Those New York Cabbies know something about beaded seats, huh....

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

waggawing wrote:
Ain't that blue just the best 1500 colour.
If I was going to re-shoot that is what I'd make it. Sure can't miss seeing it!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I was thinking about doing that operation too, but replacing the 20 year old foam with
Tempur (memory) foam. Is the gel pad the way to go?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

This upgrade has brought me much stress. I broke my back in a cycle accident 18 years ago and really need a seat that is not only comfortable but must have a quality, adjustable back rest for lower back support. That being said, I contacted Corbin and the company that makes the Road Sofa. I really like the looks of the Corbin and love the fact that it can be had in high grade leather. I know about the rain issues with leather but for as much as I ride in the rain, I can live with it, not to mention that I wear waterproof leather work boots five day a week so I know I can slow down water absorbtion. Here is where the stress comes in. If you do a google on custom seats for the Wing, at least 75-80% of the comments on Corbins state that they ride like a brick. At least 8 reviews actually used the word "Brick" which is very troubling when you're ready to shell out almost $900 for a seat with shipping. With all due respect to those that own Diamond seats or any of those custom seats with the large diamond stitching pattern, I simply couldn't live with the looks of the seat. Velour on a Wing just isn't my cup of tea. The two promicing reviews of the Corbin that I did read stated that the seat will take between 1000 to 2000 miles before they are formed or broken in to the level of comfort. I could live with that if it were true. The Florida Corbin salesman returned my first email and was gungho about starting a seat for me but then in a return email to him, I stated what I have printed above about the brick referrence in so many reviews and he for some reason hasn't gotten back to me. I even told him that most likely I was going to end up buying a Corbin but he still won't return my email.

Would those of you that do own a Corbin custom seat on a GL1500 please share your honest opinion of the seat with me and most importantly, would you buy another one and if not, what would you buy next?
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I have had a diamont saet on 2 different bikes. Both volor. It is not the best looking seat but it is comfortable. It takes a few miles to break it in. I have tried ths travlecade road sofa with a gel insert,put several miles on it and it still is like a brick.

I have it on a shelf in my garage and put the diamont back on.

Ron

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

ED1955,
I hear ya man. These seats are way off the top end. I bought my bike for 6K last Feb. and have put maybe $500 into it since them... not to mention the new Tourmaster Intake jacket I bought because I am literally roasting behind that fairing down here in Texas. Check out these engine gard mods:

Me tootsies were gettin' barbecued. They're 6" thinwalled PVC elbows... cut to fit. They seem to work too...

But the seat... I have difficulty spending a thousand more on a "super-delux-slammo-whammo-jammo" seat to put on a $6000 bike.

I love the bike... but I need a street level solution. Doinking around with some of that memory foam or a retrofitted gel pad under the original cover sounds cool.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I have ridden on both the Corbin seat in full leather and I have 2 Diamond Custom Seats for my 85 GL 1200. The fit of the corbin is better but I feel IMHO that the Diamond seat, which has the velour diamond stiched top, is much more comfortanle in the heat. At least the velour allows for the absorbtion of the sweat and the foam does not retain the moisture and dries quickly. The bad part is that it is not as durable as the full leather. Since I'm not tall enough to swing my leg over the seat, I have to kick my leg up and land it on the seat and then (as my wife calls it) do the one legged pirate hop to get my butt in the saddle.

BTW I an not the original owner of the bike which the seats were custom made for. These seats fit me well and I can ride for quite a while without a break. But yes it can get quite hot in the hotter climes in the summer, but that heat sure does feel good in the midwestern late fall days.:action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

We have just completed a two week, 3500 mile trip. First day out was 815 miles. Other travel days on the trip were 400 to 500 miles at a time. We use the sheepskin pad from Alaska Leather and won't consider a long ride on a hot day without it.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Ed I have the same problem. I looked at Russell, Corbin, Hartco and Diamond. After reading all the reviews I went with a Diamond. It should be here next week I'll let you know if it was the right choice. Please keep us posted on the Corbin

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I put asheepskin on years ago here in Australia we go great distances between towns . Dont laugh but try your wifes panthose over your underpants it stops chafing and becomes quite a a good ride .
anyway it works for me
best of luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.