Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never fails...I started out chasing an electrical problem (fixed) and found something else that needed immediate attention, which lead to another problem which lead to "what the hell," let's do the major inspection you wanted to do since you got your "pride and joy" two years ago. Pulled the final drive and propeller shaft. Long story short; pull your drives and your shafts and lube them. I'm glad I found what I found, before it found me out in the middle of "no man's land." New parts on the way. 1999 GL1500SE, 76,000 miles

Attachments

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Mine had 49,000 on it when I got it, I have been chasing PO issues for 3 years
And still finding the little things that pop up and surprise me.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
A little trick

When going back together leave the 4 final drive to swing arm bolts slightly loose. Torque your axle nut first then tighten the 4 final bolts.

IF there is ANY misalignment in the rear you would rather take it up or correct at final to swing arm.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little trick

When going back together leave the 4 final drive to swing arm bolts slightly loose. Torque your axle nut first then tighten the 4 final bolts.

IF there is ANY misalignment in the rear you would rather take it up or correct at final to swing arm.
Thanks for the tip...that makes a lot of since. I can see where the little amount of play in the stud holes could cause some mis-alignment.
Norm

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a 99SE with 155,000 miles on it. I didn't know what the previous owner has done, so I went thru the bike and did it myself. Found my local Honda dealer doesn't use Moly lube! Glad I didn't let them repair my bike. I read lots about the benefits of using Moly 60. My splines looked good and I feel better using Moly 60 when putting it all together.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My dealer didn't grease my splines when the rear tire was changed out. I found this out when I went to change the final drive fluid and the pump bottle I was thinking was a great idea :lash: sent the tip of it into the gear housing. Well that little oil changed turned out to be a "lesson" in how to remove the rear tire and drive assembly for me. (1st time.) Glad I learned my lesson on that..... but in the end, found the splines dryer than the Sahara desert and fixed that with Moly paste and filled the gear drive with Hypoid oil with the correct "Turkey baster" approach. Mucho easier...LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.