Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Gooooood Morning

It's 5:40AM here in Mississippi and i was wondering if any one has had any problems with the shifter shaft coming from the transmission being sloppy or having alot of play / wobble in it. this is on a 1997 GL1500 SE Trike with a Heel/Toe shifter. is there any thing that can be done to remove this play without a major taredown

Morris

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Morris wrote:
Gooooood Morning

It's 5:40AM here in Mississippi and i was wondering if any one has had any problems with the shifter shaft coming from the transmission being sloppy or having alot of play / wobble in it. this is on a 1997 GL1500 SE Trike with a Heel/Toe shifter. is there any thing that can be done to remove this play without a major taredown

Morris
Hi and Goooooooooood Morning to you too. :waving: and also to Robin Williams :cooldevil:

I think the play / wobble you have is a direct result of the overload from the current political mess we have and the waste of $$$$ in spewing forth all their verbage.

Oh, you meant on the GL1500. :cooldevil:

My gl1500 had a loose shifter shaft also, didn't cause any problems for me though. Mine was a stock shifter.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I removed the Heel/toe and went stock with my Motor Trike.The shaft was sloppy on mine,too.So far, no leaks and it shifts easier now.I've heard some heel toe shift kits are difficult to get adjusted properly, and some you just can't get them not to bind.I removed mine mainly cause they were uncomfortable for me, and would miss a gear all the time. Some folks swear by em though. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

My shifter is loose also, seems like all the 1500 or maybe others are loose also but doesn't seem to be a problem. It's just the way they are. But like others here have stated if you preload or hold a little pressure on the shifter then pull the clutch in just a little it will shift by itself very smoothly and quiet.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

There is an external oil seal on the shifter shaft. Have you checked to see if it has come loose or worn ? It did on mine so I replaced it and it made a big difference to gear changes (much more positive) . Not a difficult job but a real pain to get at !

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

rhughes wrote:
My shifter is loose also, seems like all the 1500 or maybe others are loose also but doesn't seem to be a problem. It's just the way they are. But like others here have stated if you preload or hold a little pressure on the shifter then pull the clutch in just a little it will shift by itself very smoothly and quiet.
i've heard some mention using Delo 400 in the crankcase to help shifting.
isn't Delo400 a diesel oil?

·
Premium Member
63,018 Posts
imported post

Delo 400 is an oil for diesels.. I ran Delo in the twin diesel engines in my Boat.. I also use it in my 1500. I thought it helped the shifting and made it a little quieter..
I think a lot of guys use it, 15/40..
I read about a lot of different opinions on oil, the noise, and shifting.. I'm sure there is a lot of good stuff out there, but I prefer Delo.........

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

The wobble/play in the GL1500 shift lever is normal. The shift lever that you press on is actually connected toyet another lever that enters the transmission so there is some "slop" in how the lever feels but it does not seem to affect actual shifting.

+1 on the Delo400 motor oil, but it won't remove the leverplay. :action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

siataukreg wrote:
Yes its normal will be better shifting if you bin the heel/toe set up nothing but trouble
Can't agree with that statement. My heel/toe shifter is as good or better than the std shifter on my 1000. And 0 problems with either one.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
The wobble/play in the GL1500 shift lever is normal. The shift lever that you press on is actually connected toyet another lever that enters the transmission so there is some "slop" in how the lever feels but it does not seem to affect actual shifting.

+1 on the Delo400 motor oil, but it won't remove the leverplay. :action:
Bingo--NeedleNick has it right on. I was curious about that and I did some deeper looking into it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Guys thanks for the feed back this is great knowing if i have a problem i can ask and someone will offer input concerning the problem at hand. based ont the feed back i can only assume the slack in the shifter shaft is normal and proceed.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

My 1500 also has slack in the shaft, I replaced the seal this year since it was leaking, I think the slack is designed to help "'reduce" abuse damage. :baffled::action:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Since we're talking shifters I'll toss in. My new-to-me 82 Aspen make a loud "clunk" on most shifts. I've tried adjusting the cable and lever action for the clutch to no avail. The engine oil was dry when I got her, does the same oil travel to this area?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

nightstalker0352 wrote:
Since we're talking shifters I'll toss in. My new-to-me 82 Aspen make a loud "clunk" on most shifts. I've tried adjusting the cable and lever action for the clutch to no avail. The engine oil was dry when I got her, does the same oil travel to this area?
That clunking can sort of be fixed by using a slight amount of pressure loading on the shifter. Then just a slight throttle action and clutch together makes it change gears without near the noise.

I gave up on mine ever being "quiet". Just drive it and go on. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.