Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the 12 volt multi fuel shut off valve on my 88, wired to the acc terminal, the valve gets hot, after riding for about 10 miles, stopped and the valve was very hot. help!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
OoooH, questions? questions? First one being, why do you need it?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
OoooH, questions? questions? First one being, why do you need it?
The GL1500 has a vacuum operated petcock that does tend to leak over time, and the Honda replacement is pricy. An electrically operated valve is a substitute.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Have you contacted the people where you got it to ask them how warm it should run?
It's possible you got one with a shorted winding or something like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
valve

I have sent a couple of emails, but have not heard back. I do not see any phone nr. on the site.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Dan-Marc
812 S. Tuscarawas Ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622

A simple Google search found the above information. I've used the above valve for well over 10,000 miles w/o any problems. I've never touched the valve when riding to see how hot it got. Tomorrow I'm commuting 65 miles to & from work. I will leave the fuel door open, reach down & feel my valve. I just hope I don't get busted for doing something indecent.. :ROFL:...-Rich

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
The valve dissipates ~9-Watts (0.75A at 12V, ); this is roughly 3-times the power from a #194 marker lamp (0.27A)
Try holding a lighted #194 bulb in your fingers for comparison... :ROFL:

There's really not much of a comparison actually, your fuel solenoid is substantially larger, so there is more surface area to dissipate the heat. But, yes, it is disipating slightly better than 9W and that 9W will be warm to the touch. The tiny amount of fuel (0.156" flow diameter) will not be absorbing much heat from the device, so the rest of the heat must dissapate out to the case. Add that to being in a warm area of the bike, and yove got a warmer valve.

If you're worried about it, more airflow may ease your mind, but, unless you can boil spit on the surface of the solenoid, I'd suspect that the valve is operating well within design parameters.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Dan-Marc
812 S. Tuscarawas Ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622

A simple Google search found the above information. I've used the above valve for well over 10,000 miles w/o any problems. I've never touched the valve when riding to see how hot it got. Tomorrow I'm commuting 65 miles to & from work. I will leave the fuel door open, reach down & feel my valve. I just hope I don't get busted for doing something indecent.. :ROFL:...-Rich

I did feel the valve going down the freeway, & although it does get slightly warm after several miles, it did not get hot as the OP posted....
-Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.