Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just pulled the right side cover off my 1500 to put on the battery tender. The tab on the rear attached to the saddle bag popped off. There is glue present. I have owned this bike for 2 years and never seen it. I am guessing to uae abs cement. Is this the correct repair? Thanks in advance. Ghost

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I used a two part epoxy plastic weld from Advance auto parts. worked great, no failure yet.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Yep, 2 part expoxy for plastic. works very well

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:weightlifter:Me, too! I used epoxy, and that was last Oct.! Has'nt failed in 3,000 miles. jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you want the strongest repair use ABS cement. Clean off the old glue, use a dab of the black goo Weldon ABS cement and once it's cured, add a couple more thin coats to build up the base a bit. I've repaired several pins that way and the ABS cement will give a stronger bond than any epoxy or glue since the ABS cement results in a chemical weld instead of a surface adherence.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Or.......... you could call "Holmes on homes" to fix it but he's most likely going to want to tear the whole bike down to the frame to check for other hidden damage.:( It will be perfect when he's finished & your bill will be around $30,000.:cheeky1:

What???:baffled:

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 88 1500 it had a broken tab like yours. I used a sander to flatten out the area on the side cover where the tab broke. Then I found a sheet metal screw and drilled a hole in the cover a little smaller than the screw. I then applied some JB weld to the hole and screw.... then installed the screw. It's important (obviously) to get a screw that's just a little shorter than the large bulb of the old tab and don't go too far when installing the screw or you'll hate yourself when it pokes out the other side!!
After it dried overnight I started building up the screw with JB weld layer after layer... forming it to fit as I went.
It took about 3 days to complete but it's as strong as new if not stronger.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

If I were to buy a used cover and found out that is was repaired, I would hope the cover was repaired with ABS cement. Any other repair would keep me up at nights and give me the shakes. :stumped:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.