Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After the post about the GL1100 side stand, I'm considering shortening the side stand on my gl1500 by about an inch. Thats because on some road surfaces when parking I find that I have to be really careful about where I park so the bike won't tip over, blow over in wind or get knocked over by meddlers. My suspension is up high and the fork oil is new after I fitted the new fork so it's not down to bad maintenance.

Anyway, I'm thinking of cutting a piece out of the stand and welding it back an inch short. With the weight of the Wing I'm not sure if this is 100% advisable and would appreciate some opinions. :)

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I don't think that's wise Ted. The side stand is solid cast iron, to the best of my knowledge and I don't think cast welds too good.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I'm thinking of cutting a piece out of the stand and welding it back an inch short.
Hey englishted, :gunhead: Dont cut your stand that bloody thing wont weld properly and then what will you do. :whip: Your a "Guru" and your supposed to have all the answers, :crying:now your telling us that your going to cut your stand. :stumped:

Whatever about cutting your stick, :grinner: dont cut your stand. :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Anyway, I'm thinking of cutting a piece out of the stand and welding it back an inch short. With the weight of the Wing I'm not sure if this is 100% advisable and would appreciate some opinions. :)

Hi englishted

I know were you are coming from, I am always looking for a suitable point on the road for parking on the side stand, try it move six foot along try again. I don't know what metal the stand is made from, but you can by after market stands chromed etc.

I will look into a possible solution on Monday, if you come up with a solution let me know.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Problem is that chrome side stands don't last too long. They just rust away in no time.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Why not just cut the foot (flat part)end off the stand, then cut the inch off the end and weld the foot back on. That way if the weld fails the bike will stay up because thebreak will only be at the bottom. Less chance of a break there anyway as there won't be any strain on the weld.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cutting the stand can also cause problems by increasing the load on the stand if you are on level or downward slanting ground. Might eventually bend the attachment bracket. Why can't you just turn the bike around the other way when you have to park on upward slanting ground?

:stumped:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:waving:As I found out with my 83 Aspencade vs my Gl Standard, the side stands were two different sizes. One being an inch shorter. You may wish to find a GL1100 stand and see if it will bolt up to your bike. I just converted both my bikes to the 9 1/2 inch stand and they lean just perfect. Not upright but not so far over that it looks like they will fall over. The 8 1/2 is too short for my bike, but itmight be fine on yours.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had an aftermarket chrome stand that came on my 1200, it appeared to be a welded fabrication. As for welding if you took shortened it at the foot and welded, or maybe brazed an oval piece of 1/8" flatstock for a foot, there would be no risk of a weld causing the bike to fall over, at worse you'd have the foot come loose which shouldn't dump the bike.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I had an aftermarket chrome stand that came on my 1200, it appeared to be a welded fabrication. As for welding if you took shortened it at the foot and welded, or maybe brazed an oval piece of 1/8" flatstock for a foot, there would be no risk of a weld causing the bike to fall over, at worse you'd have the foot come loose which shouldn't dump the bike.
Sound advice Paul. Just cut at the foot end and weld the same foot back on a bit further up. I'd just cut of half an inch first. If that's not enough you can always cut some more off later. Thats much better than cutting too much off in the first place.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

It would be interesting if someone would come up with a sidestand that had an adjustable end to it, like a tie rod does. That way you can tune it to your individual liking, and your particular suspension setting.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

you can weld the 1500 stand well at least an 88 one as i added a larger foot

plate to mine so it dosent sink in to soft ground :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Why quit there? You can take an old screw jack, an electric motor, set up a potentiometer with a pendulum and have a self leveling side stand. It would be good on a ferry too, it the boat rolled your stand would keep the bike at the proper leaning angle. Of course if the voyage was of any length you'd have to have a trailer with extra batteries.

:skipping:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.