Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uncovered the bike from it's winter nap and lowered it off the lift to do some work, when I noticed that I had left the side stand down all winter.
After folding it up something caught my eye, it was drooping.
Seems that leaving it extended all winter (off the ground
on a lift) stretched the spring.
Very strange. I have parked it on side stand for extended periods before, as well as center stand all winters without problem.
Now its loose and hanging 3 inches below where it should be.
I guess the only fix is a new spring, unless someone has a secret on how to tighten the old one back up???

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I think it was mice using the spring as part of their exercise program and they just wore it out. But now you have som pretty strong mice running around. With time springs can loose there stiffness and stretch out . Sounds to me that is what happened in your case.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Before you go and spend big bucks on a OEM spring, stop by a local hardware store and check their supply. I lost one of a pair of springs on my lawnmower and was able to replace it for less than half as much as OEM. In fact, I replaced both of them the price was so reasonable!

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If you shave a few inches off the side stand, it will be a lot lighter, and won't hang down so far any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.