Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went for a nice ride a few days ago and upon arrival home, the left sidecover of our '96 SE was gone.

I looked at the gas door, and came up with these numbers for the paint:

Color R-176C
Code R-176K

and painted on the side by someone else were these numbers:

R199C

We have a sidecar that is painted to match. It is not a perfect match..if inspected closely, one can see that the paint on the 'car doesn't have the "pop" that the stock color has. I m guessing that is what the "R199C" number is for

But,anyway,would it be more economical to attempt to find a replacement already painted from the factory, or purchase a "raw" cover and have it painted locally?

Any suggestions on where to look for one already painted, like GW specific salvage yards?

Thanks,eh?

Brad

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
First, maybe you should retrace your route and see if you can find the cover. I've done that when a friend lost a cover off his Valk.
I don't think the body parts are available, sans paint, so you could just order one the right color from Honda.
Or you could go on e-bay and get one and have it re-painted. Or you can get some (ColorRite)? matched paint and do the job yourself.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
New, color matched sidecovers are available from cheapcycleparts.com. But they are super expensive, almost $300 apiece. I have seen aftermarket chrome ones, don't know whether they are still available or not. I would keep an eye out on eBay.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Try Venco Wings for side cover. Got new one from him last summer in correct color at reasonable price.
And Rudy, here on Forum, sells Great Keeper Kits which keep expensive Wing covers from becoming painful memory. After yours truly lost right shelter cover [lock not latched correctly; following car ran over it] learned valuable lesson. My 2 cents.....papasmurf

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Are your covers 2 tone or just a solid red color because I have a left one if your interested here is the pic of it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Covers come up on ebay all the time..best to weight for the right color..just take the one you have around to a few paint shops and ask what they'd charge to paint one like the same color and youi'l get an idea of pricing.. I did that with a front fender...$150!!! jsut the front half of the fender.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Absolutely worth the cost. I would have been looking for a new side cover if I didn't have Rudy's Keepers installed.
The trick is,, not waiting to see "IF" you will lose one, before you purchase/install the keepers ;)
Did my "Rudy Keepers" this Saturday after having them sitting in the shop all Winter. This is one of those products that is "down right worth the money, cause them side covers is down right spensive." ;)
Norm

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

Hi All, I too suffered from a side panel coming loose with the PO of my 15.The panel was recovered and I have fixed both panels by screwing them on.I fixed a nut to the bottom lugs of the side boxes and screwed the panels on through the bottom peg positions where they would have popped into the grommets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.