Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone new to this site but have been told this is the one to be on, I own a GL 1500/6 1988.
She has developed a intermitent problem.
I lose Lights, ignition Lights, fuel and temperature gauge, rev counter, neutral Light, reverse Light. but as I have said this is intermitent, have taken the relays out but this did not resolve the problem.
One sujestion is thats its the multy plug under the left fairing pocket.
Some times after being on run and stopping for an hour or so the problem may occuar but rocking off centre stand or riding it would right its self. other times it clears after four or five hours.
Hope the information I have given will help.
look forward to your answers.
Dave

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave

Have you replaced the main fuse? It's a dogbone fuse just forward of the battery, has a black plactic elongated cover and inside the cover is a spare.
They developed hairline cracks you can't see.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Does the engine also quit running, when all those lights go out?... if Not, then I doubt it would be the dogbone fuse, as that would be causing the fuel pump to turn off and the engine to stop.

Seems like it's a simple Dirty Electrical Connection, at the front of the bike... I'd Pull-Apart/Clean/Dielectric-Grease all the connectors at the "front" (eg Above the fans, and connected to the instrument panel).

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
If the engine also cuts out, your bank angle sensor could be bad.
Try byepassing bank angle sensor,illiminating if thats faulty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:)
If the engine also cuts out, your bank angle sensor could be bad.
On a 1500 if the bank angle snsor shuts off the engine you would need to turn the key off and then back on for a re-start.

It does sound like a bad connection somewhere that starts working again with some bumps/movement of the bike.

Unless someone can pinpoint a problem area you may need to just start un-pluging, cleaning/die electric greasing and re-plugging every plug that you can find.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
i have the same bike first thing you do is right side take the terminals and wire off the battery clean and put back in place look close at the small wire attached to the positive side for frayed wire. Take your seat off locate the green plug, (angle sensor) pull the plug and you'll see 3 hole cut a jumper and put it in the 2 outside holes leaving the center hole open, tape it up really good so it won't come out. Put it all back together. And see what happens, if you still have a problem or the bike is shutting down in the process let me know I have another fix where you can install a switch on pin number two of the ECM to battery direct and when need you flip the switch and it bypasses the ECM starts and you can drive it home to figure out your problem instead of a tow truck or hauling a dead bike$$$...Let me know!!!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi Dave and welcome, just back to the start if I may, you lose several things intermittently, but can you tell us what DOES work (if anything) ?..perhaps knowing this may help us guide you to a specific area of the bike...ie: starter, lights, radio etc..
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
My friend had that exact problem on his. Turned out to be a melted ground connector under left side of passenger seat area. If I remember correct, it was the one in the connector closest to center of bike. His was completely melted, so we fashioned a "bypass", so it could could be disconnected. Green wires, I think, maybe doubled up at connector bodies. If that's the problem, the connector body will be darker in that area, maybe much darker, like his was (almost black). I wish I would have taken a shot or 2 of the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone will have a look at the items mentioned, like I said the bike starts and runs when fault is showing, will take seat off and fairing pockets and check connectors.
Have a good one speak again in new year.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 96 and it turned out to be the relay for the whole group was corroded and needed a good cleaning. On the relay panel it is relay #7 (above the relay for the low beams) Pull it out and clean and lube the connectors with electrical spray. Fixed my issues!

I missed see that yo had removed the relay..It could be that one of the contact has spread a bit and that is why it it intermittant. Use a flashlight and look at the female connector on the relay panel...just saying. Hope you find the issue!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all still have problem pulled the connector bloks apart under left hand fairng pocket and sprayed with wd40 but problem still there, looked under seat but no signs of any burnt wires, any more suggestions.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi Dave, you do have a bit of a problem on your hands here don't you..!!..May I assume you have tried the suggestions as per previous posts if relevant, and just confirm that your headlights DO go out in fault condition?....I went back up to my workshop this afternoon (way too hot to mow lawns and getting past that beer fridge without hesitating isn't easy on summer hols!)..and with a manual pulled each fuse to see if I could at least in part recreate the issue you have. Well I didn't..!! not even close really. The best I could do was fuse #8, but headlamps on...so, I need to resort to (after way too many years in the service industry.) "illogical fault finding"..(bet we all do it from time to time!) ...and I am assuming you are completely happy with the condition of the relays?)...So...can you recreate the problem yourself?..ie: bike on centrestand, good battery, take out the the left pocket and individually (long nosed insulated pliers may help) wiggle (in a "technical fashion"..!) every wire in the two (white and black) connectors and get the fault to happen?....could it be temperature or heat related?
OR: going back to the relay/fuse box area, (bike electrics ON) lightly "tap" the relays to see if you can recreate the fault?..
OR: (gettin' thirsty here!) remove the seat ,loosen the relay box off (does the saddlebag need to come off?) to be able to check out thoughrily ALL the ground wires that you can access from there and under the seat and check them?..AND..I guess the same up the front of the bike with ground wires too and from those connectors. Personally I wouldn't put too much faith using WD40 on already corroded connections, and my preference would be something like CRC 2.26 or similar for the smaller connections when cleaned up.?(and continuity checked with a meter if you have one)..just a thought, others will have a differing opinion and more suitable products I am sure.
Perhaps a member would be able to say reasonably confidently if the problem is up the "front" of the bike or around the relay box area..?? could save you a lot of time.
Dave, I don't know if any of the above is of help, or indeed if you have already done some or all of it, but I do hope it can give a bit of 'direction" at least, and more experienced members will have more knowledge also.
Now, back to the fridge!
Good luck and do give us a progress report, good or otherwise!
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I'm betting the start relay is bad. (not solenoid) Not something you will see external or maybe not even see internal of the relay. The NC part of the relay supplies power to the accessories you listed. When you hit the start button the NO points close to start the engine. At the same time the NC points open to shut off all unnecessary accessories, supplying maximum power to the starter and engine to get it going. When you release the start button it is supposed to close the NC point set. That NC set might be burned or sticking. An easy way to tset this is that if you hit the start button a few times when the problem is occurring it should right itself. Using the start button on a 1500 with the engine running does not damage anything. In other words, if it's acting up try to start the engine while it's still running. If that cures the issue it's the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi hope your year ended and started ok. Back to my 1500/6 took the left hand side fairing pocket off and after loosing lots of skin got the two multy plugs apart cleaned it all and put them back but sadly problem still there.
She will start and run ok whilst fault is present, but have no lights, fuel gage, temperature gage, rev counter, reverse, plus all ignition lights.
Was thinking next I'ii check all wiring from multy plugs to dash, will report back when thats done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.